• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New gig today, bit of a dilemma...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do the contract. Remember, your priority is to get some attractive PRINCE 2 stuff onto your CV.

If anyone will talk to you, ask them what they are doing and how it fits into the project - and how it fits into the PRINCE 2 process (they might not have a clue so you'll have to make this bit up).

If you are left to your own devices all the time, use a bit of lateral thinking to interpret everything you do into imaginary PRINCE 2 stages/tasks, and how it links to other imaginary PRINCE 2 tasks.

Pretty soon you'll have a decent chunk of made-up PRINCE 2 experience to slip onto your CV, and you can get a good job on a government disaster/gravy train.

If all else fails you can always roger the department manager for Christmas. After all, that's probably why she hired you (PRINCE 2 fetishist).

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
      Do the contract. Remember, your priority is to get some attractive PRINCE 2 stuff onto your CV.

If anyone will talk to you, ask them what they are doing and how it fits into the project - and how it fits into the PRINCE 2 process (they might not have a clue so you'll have to make this bit up).

If you are left to your own devices all the time, use a bit of lateral thinking to interpret everything you do into imaginary PRINCE 2 stages/tasks, and how it links to other imaginary PRINCE 2 tasks.

Pretty soon you'll have a decent chunk of made-up PRINCE 2 experience to slip onto your CV, and you can get a good job on a government disaster/gravy train.

If all else fails you can always roger the department manager for Christmas. After all, that's probably why she hired you (PRINCE 2 fetishist).
      WHS
      "His fame rested on solid personal achievements...."

Comment

Cheers for replies. I could do that as suggested, but gonna go plan B instead (which I was about to start anyway before this popped up last week out the blue).
        The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

If it was me id just do the contract whilst looking for another and if i didnt find another before it ended then dress it up as more of a PM role on my CV.

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
            I also got asked "So how long you been temping? Does it get you by ok?"

Also "Do you know how to use Excel?" ... "No, whats Excel"... Did they look at my CV?... how the f**k did I end up here?
            It sounds like you are temping, not contracting. Nothing wrong with it, but it's not the same thing.

What is the agent's role in all of this?

Comment

What is the agent's role in all of this?
              Sitting on a sun lounger in the Cayman Islands, chuckling to himself I'll wager...
              Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Stick with it. You'd be mad to pass up the opportunity to get some made-up Prince experience onto your CV. Swallow your pride, it's only a short contract and it might lead to proper work

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Jack it in, no question. You would be mad to allow yourself to be treated like a temp, it's not a proper Prince role, you have been led up the garden path mate. Move to plan B immediately

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Dont be too rash, loads of contracts start out looking like a pile of tulipe first week or so and then turn out ok. Its probably the shock of doing something different to a techy/IT role.

I think the problem is partly your rate. You cant go in on a really low rate and then expect to be given senior level work to do can you? If they are paying you 20 quid an hour (or whatever) then they probably do view you as a temp, because, well, you are billing like one.
                    The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

To all,

The guy wants to walk - end of!!
                      Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
                      X