• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "To iPhone or not iPhone?"

Collapse

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
    not drop half of all calls
    Never had that problem and most of my calls are international.

Each to their own I suppose.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
    Touch Cruise
    Mmmmmmmmmmm - Katie Holmes.

Leave a comment:

• FarmerPalmer
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Done.

Although I disagree. It's a great gadget, true. But a crap phone? I dial the number and can speak to whoever answers... What else is a phone supposed to do?
    not drop half of all calls

Leave a comment:

• FarmerPalmer
    replied
    Touch Cruise

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
    The iphone is a great gadget, but a crap phone.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by TazMaN View Post

You can quote me on that.
    Done.

Although I disagree. It's a great gadget, true. But a crap phone? I dial the number and can speak to whoever answers... What else is a phone supposed to do?

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied

You can quote me on that.

Leave a comment:

• HeliCraig
    replied
    I have to say that they have dramatically improved the battery life in firmware >v2.1.

Also, the keyboard was hard to get on with initially; but I am a bit of a demon on it now!

Leave a comment:

• weegordy
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    Yes it does - scroll to the bottom of the email and select the attachment - it supports a wide range of the usual file extensions inc .docx etc.
    cheers for that mate.... you learn someting new everyday

i now think that the phone is even better!!

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I tried the iPhone and hated it - I want a real keyboard for typing on rather than hammering a screen and getting it wrong still. I also missed text forwarding and bulk sending of text messages.

I'm very pleased with my G1 (although I wish they would do a Skype chat application for it outside the US). Can't think of anything more that I want out of a phone or browser really.

Go and play with them all and see what you like, though - one man's meat is another man's poison.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Yes, but I'd rather cut my nuts off with a spoon than go back to Win-Mo (5 or 6).
    Now you mention it, that's one reason why I'm not now using it.

Leave a comment:

• scooby
    replied
    i've got a 2g and had it since feb. i hate it. i hate the keyboard, lack of MMS, lack of battery life, the lack of compatibility to my stereo head unit that was 1mth old than the phone (the iphone isnt compatible, but ipod is).

Saying that, i rarely use my laptop to use the net at home and the apps are good!

ups and down all round.

Leave a comment:

• css_jay99
    replied
    As far as surfing goes, there is no phone of the market that comes close to the iphone.

Best to hold your wallet and wait till probably end of Jan just incase Apple will be making/announcing some changes to the iphone3g (e.g mms, bigger memory, better camera).

css_jay99

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by weegordy View Post
    it doesnt allow you to open any attachments sent with emails etc.
    Yes it does - scroll to the bottom of the email and select the attachment - it supports a wide range of the usual file extensions inc .docx etc.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    As you would expect - I looked at loads of options inc the HTC touch, Storm, G1, before going with the iPhone. Never, ever again will I go win-mo, the Storm is utterly pants, seriously. The G1 has great software packaged in hardware that looks & feels like a GCSE CDT project.

So the iPhone it was. Sure, it's not perfect - my biggest gripes are: No SD/MSD slot, no MMS, no txt forwarding, no flash player (but it's in dev), no cut&paste (rumours abound that Apple will sort this) the 1 day battery life (tip: switch off wifi and 3G when you're not using it) and the camera (adequate only).

None of the above are showstoppers for me - new apps appear seemingly in their hundreds each week, with each software update things get a little smoother and extra features appear - there's a groundswell of petitioning for the missing features anyway - and the product design & quality feel is way above and beyond the competition.

No brainer. Agree in hindsight I should have gone for the 16GB as mentioned above. That is all.
    Last edited by realityhack; 3 December 2008, 23:54.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X