• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Rate cut

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Rate cut"

Collapse

• zara_backdog
    replied
    Originally posted by Kess
    I'm in a similar dilemma. Current client is shedding contractors but wants to hang on to a few key ones for a few more months - I've just been offered an extension until end of March. However, at the time of my last extension I made it crystal clear that would be my final extension unless rates were increased.

Given the economic climate and lack of other opportunities I'll probably swallow my pride and accept the offer, but I had been quite looking forward to telling them where to stick it and moving on...
    Thats OK as long as you have something to move on to.......

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Once there it's not hard to outshine the Bulltulipters - just be aware of the back-stabbing and politics and engage with it.
    That's what turned me off last time I did a test management contract; political manoeuvring by other managers, especially project managers who didn't like their bumbling being exposed by the tests. Still, it made me quite a bit tougher, so next time round I won't be taking tulip from other managers.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    That's a good point. I actually think the current crisis is an opportunity for techies to show that we can manage better than the airheads in charge right now. At some stage, businesses will have to get back to doing the basics right, and they'll need technically skilled managers to do it. That's one reason why I said on another thread that an MSc or an MEng might be a better choice long term than an MBA.

I know how to help a business save money AND test software more effectively; up until now, with unlimited budgets, nobody wanted to know about that; now that budgets are being cut, organisations might be prepared to listen.

That's more like it. We need more techie managers.
    I think the best way is to have a strong techie background then do an MBA or similar as an entree to manager twat-land. Once there it's not hard to outshine the Bulltulipters - just be aware of the back-stabbing and politics and engage with it.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    I agree. But if all techies can do is moan about management because they lack the personal skills (which are much harder than techie ones) required to obtain power - then nothing will change.
    That's a good point. I actually think the current crisis is an opportunity for techies to show that we can manage better than the airheads in charge right now. At some stage, businesses will have to get back to doing the basics right, and they'll need technically skilled managers to do it. That's one reason why I said on another thread that an MSc or an MEng might be a better choice long term than an MBA.

I know how to help a business save money AND test software more effectively; up until now, with unlimited budgets, nobody wanted to know about that; now that budgets are being cut, organisations might be prepared to listen.

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Yes those poor contractors getting shafted, grossing only £100K per year. How will they survive Christmas... maybe we should set up a charity for them.
    What's good for the goose, etc.

We need our own bailout now!

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Twas ever so. It's called survival of the fittest. Become a manager then and stop yer whinging.
    Survival of the most venal and cut throat more like. Anyway I wasn't whinging I think it's funny - especially when permies go on about survival of the fittest

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Michael Moore makes this point - funny how top managers get richer and everyone else gets shafted
    Yes those poor contractors getting shafted, grossing only £100K per year. How will they survive Christmas... maybe we should set up a charity for them.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    That’s the trouble; incompetent senior managers have been allowed to parasite businesses for too long and now we’re all left with the bitter aftertaste.
    I agree. But if all techies can do is moan about management because they lack the personal skills (which are much harder than techie ones) required to obtain power - then nothing will change.
    Last edited by sasguru; 2 December 2008, 11:41.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Twas ever so. It's called survival of the fittest. Become a manager then and stop yer whinging.
    The ‘fittest’!?!?!?! Are you claiming that the thieving scum who have driven many of the world’s biggest banks and manufacturers to the edge, and some over the edge of bankruptcy are ‘the fittest’?

Darwinian evolution is the wrong analogy; basic home economics is better; in a stew, scum rises to the top and needs to be skimmed off quickly to avoid giving the whole meal a bitter aftertaste. That’s the trouble; incompetent senior managers have been allowed to parasite businesses for too long and now we’re all left with the bitter aftertaste.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    Hence most contractors are on less now that they were 10 yrs ago.

(Except SallyAnne for some reason)

CyberTory

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Permie bastard.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Permie bastard.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Michael Moore makes this point - funny how top managers get richer and everyone else gets shafted

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    No problem with that AS LONG AS they see nothing wrong with me demanding a 20% rate increase mid-contract during a boom when their profits are good, without thinking for a minute that this is not a business like way to act.

I think you'll find your average client doesn't like it when the glove is on the other foot.
    There is nothing wrong with demanding a 20% rise, even now, provided your added value justifies it. And if they have no choice they will pay it.
    Simple supply and demand as I said.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    I love the way, that during a boom time for IT Contractors, anyone daring to put up their rates mid-contract is deemed unprofessional, money-grabbing and mercenary, but during a downturn, it is good business sense and ethical for clients to slash rates mid contract.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X