• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: 6 months a year

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "6 months a year"

Collapse

• Shimano105
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    You talk like we are buinessmen rather than workshy fops

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post

Treat it like a hol for a few weeks then gradually start to implement plan Bs and do some dev projects to keep you sharp and add strings to your bow.

Just as you start to get into this you can guarantee that a gig will come along and you'll never finish it.
    I wish, have spent some time skilling up, having look at what contracts are out there and what skills are needed, only to find as soon as my course is finished the roles for that particular skill set seem to have disappeared.

It's a conspiracy I tell you

I've learnt to accept that the market is what is is and enjoy the time off.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    You talk like we are buinessmen rather than tax avoiders

Leave a comment:

• Shimano105
    replied
    You aren't meant to just watch daytime telly though are you?

Treat it like a hol for a few weeks then gradually start to implement plan Bs and do some dev projects to keep you sharp and add strings to your bow.

Just as you start to get into this you can guarantee that a gig will come along and you'll never finish it.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I'm now on 6 months in a year, bloody brilliant. I now have an encyclopaedic knowledge of murder she wrote and quincy.

I might do a 9 month stint this time that will take me up to the end of April, my 6 months have become out of step with the summer.
    Don't forget Diagnosis Murder!

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    normally do 9 months a year, this has turned into 6 months, am on my last months salary and dividend (that is until the accountant confirms, how much copr tax i actually have to pay, and then i'm good for another couple of months)

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I'm now on 6 months in a year, bloody brilliant. I now have an encyclopaedic knowledge of murder she wrote and quincy.

I might do a 9 month stint this time that will take me up to the end of April, my 6 months have become out of step with the summer.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    I've done 6 months this year:

Benefits
    Spend more time at home
    Pay less tax
    Can get fit
    Play Golf
    Can do jobs around the house

Negatives
    Everyone is at work
    Homes under the hammer loses it's shine after a while
    Forgot to do jobs around the house

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    I would prefer to work all the days possible, so as to pay off the mortgage and all debts, have a sizeable savings/investment fund and then some.

Then I would feel comfortable working only part of the year, and spending more time enjoying time with the family and following my dreams.

Another 30 or so years, and I'll be there.

rolleyes copyright of EO.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    I could survive by working for only six months a year, but having been a spendthrift in my younger days, my retirement funds aren't very beefy (and now getting worse, thanks Gordon), so in the long term I can't afford to.

The "live for today" mentality only lasts until you wake up tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• zara_backdog
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I've had about 5 days of holiday this year so far. And worked some weekends when I had about 2 full-time contracts at the same time once.
    So when do you have time to enjoy life?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    At a stretch I could live off 3 months a year working.
    In four months contracting, I bill more than my last permie job paid me in a year.

Since contracting, we've not really increased the amount that we spend much, so it's no problem. I've also got enough in the company to be out of work for two years before it might start to bite.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    At a stretch I could live off 3 months a year working.

Leave a comment:

• Advocate
    replied
    Only 260? Call yourself a contractor?

If we assume 8 hour days...ah you can see where I'm going.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by bobhope View Post
    Call yourself contractors? There are 260 possible billing days a year (not including weekends).
    I've had about 5 days of holiday this year so far. And worked some weekends when I had about 2 full-time contracts at the same time once.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X