• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Pound sinking - deflation expected"

Collapse

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I'm not sure with a sinking pound, housing estates looking like Belarus, and "strengths" in financial services, this is the most opportune time to stick two fingers at an, at least a half-functioning economy (as opposed to a basket case) on your doorstep.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Labour keep saying that inflation will fall. But with commodities priced in $ and imports in Euros, how will it fall?
    It will fall when people can't afford to buy stuff

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Labour keep saying that inflation will fall. But with commodities priced in $ and imports in Euros, how will it fall?

This really is a major incentive to expand our farming industry and stick two fingers up at the EU.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    Now .843p. This is seriously worrying, although I have Euros. We import much of our goods and this now will stoke inflation.

Brown must do something to cut public debt........ NOW!!!! He most certainly should not be increasing it.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    Yikes!!! 1 Euro = .836p

Now .843p. This is seriously worrying, although I have Euros. We import much of our goods and this now will stoke inflation.

Brown must do something to cut public debt........ NOW!!!! He most certainly should not be increasing it.

Leave a comment:

• Purple Dalek
    replied
    And those who read it an' giggled, are nowt but fools.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Deflation

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/s...-200811131394/

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Yikes!!! 1 Euro = .836p

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    Yes it has - When I first worked out there it was at the $1.4 to the £. Granted there isn't much in it now, but it was lower.
    Well I was really considering the only currencies that are of value to me, CHF and EUR and for both it never been that low in the history (1.7 to the CHF so not that far away really).

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko View Post
    What do you honestly expect? 1 pound to 1 dollar? Historically the pound has never been any lower than now. I'd be surprised if we are too far away from the bottom. Then again nobody knows for sure else we'll be all millionaire.
    Yes it has - When I first worked out there it was at the $1.4 to the £. Granted there isn't much in it now, but it was lower.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    I'm off to the states in February for two weeks and have to pay for the hotels in $

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    That's impossible. The Blessed Maggie was in charge then.
    It is indeed true.

However, the low we have to get to first before we hit parity is the June 2001 low of 1.3680.

I wish I could post a monthly chart of the pound here. It looks like Beachyhead, if you get my drift.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    Historically it went down to $1.05 in 1985 according to http://www.miketodd.net/encyc/dollhist-graph2.htm
    That's impossible. The Blessed Maggie was in charge then.

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    Bognor Regis it is then next summer
    Hey, that's my line.

Good news then: fewer Brits on the beaches.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by sunnysan View Post
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/f...s-deepens.html

Looks like Russia is going to be in the dwang as well. Well characteristically, the Kremlin have dispatched the police to deal with any "dissenters" so I guess unlike the whinging UK the Ruskys will just have to grin and bear it.
    Pound is down in value againt the Rouble

http://finance.yahoo.com/currency/co...RUB&amt=1&t=1y

Leave a comment:

Working...
X