• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Starbucks profits dive by 97%"

Collapse

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    There are too many of those shops around - it goes against economic common sense and was only made possible because of the "good decade" when people were buying all sort of junk without checking value of the products and services they bought for their money. Now thats changing and Starbucks is losing money big time.
    I agree with that. With a false sense of wealth, people were prepared to spend a lot of money on buying a brand. That's what Starbucks is: most of the price, and most of the attraction, is not the coffee but the brand.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It costs thousands and thousands to rent a shop on a popular street, plus thousands and thousands even for cheap staff. They are no more expensive than Nero or other places anyway are they?
    Have you asked yourself why so many coffee shops appeared all around the world? Same with mobile phone retailers. The reason is ridiculous markup that they make.

I've seen plenty of news shops next to Starbucks selling newspapers, sweets and lots of other things for reasonable prices (ok more than supermarket but not by much), their rent is surely the same yet they don't charge exorbitant prices.

There are too many of those shops around - it goes against economic common sense and was only made possible because of the "good decade" when people were buying all sort of junk without checking value of the products and services they bought for their money. Now thats changing and Starbucks is losing money big time.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It costs thousands and thousands to rent a shop on a popular street, plus thousands and thousands even for cheap staff. They are no more expensive than Nero or other places anyway are they?
    I know there will be exceptions, but I always find the high street brand coffee shops to be clean and not smell too strongly of old mops and backroom ciggies.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Their coffee prices are a rip off, maybe they use gold toilets in HQ and that makes them charge so much, why would I care? I only used them once and that was by accident - someone else was buying.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    And then deleting your post as soon you realised it was wrong login/browser window
    Yes!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
    No. I mistakenly second-guessed your use of English!
    And then deleting your post as soon you realised it was wrong login/browser window

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    He does not own my business to tell me how to run it, just like I don't tell how to run his - not just because I am not owner of his business but also because I don't have all the details of his business to make correct suggestion, something that does not stop him from telling me what to do.

Ah, deleted post - looks like we got sock puppet outed!
    No. I mistakenly second-guessed your use of English!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Dalek
    Eh?
    He does not own my business to tell me how to run it, just like I don't tell how to run his - not just because I am not owner of his business but also because I don't have all the details of his business to make correct suggestion, something that does not stop him from telling me what to do.

Ah, deleted post - looks like we got sock puppet outed!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    AtW - fook off and make a success of your business venture(s).
    Dim, I think you are confusing yourself with owner of my business - it is up to be to decide how I allocate my time - so it is you who should fook from giving such advices to other people, I am not telling you how to run your business so fook off telling me how to run mine ok?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    The reason you care is because of your insistence on having the last word on every thread you post your monotonous drivel in. If you don't like the prices Starbucks charge that's fine, nobody puts a gun to your head when you walk past and makes you buy a big bucket of latte, so stop your bloody whingeing.
    I find it amusing AtW "does not have time" to make a decent search engine and business front end for his SEO business but does have plenty of time to post the last (boring) word on EVERY thread.

AtW - fook off and make a success of your business venture(s).

HTH

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Their coffee prices are a rip off, maybe they use gold toilets in HQ and that makes them charge so much, why would I care? I only used them once and that was by accident - someone else was buying.
    The reason you care is because of your insistence on having the last word on every thread you post your monotonous drivel in. If you don't like the prices Starbucks charge that's fine, nobody puts a gun to your head when you walk past and makes you buy a big bucket of latte, so stop your bloody whingeing.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    No - they need to turn a profit.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    No it doesn't - it's just rip off coffee with lots of expensive marketing that is translated into high prices.
    No - they need to turn a profit.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I think it has something to do with staff wages and ground rent and taxes.
    No it doesn't - it's just rip off coffee with lots of expensive marketing that is translated into high prices.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    Those coffee prices were total rip off, how did they get so many people buying it in the first place?
    I think it has something to do with staff wages and ground rent and taxes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X