• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: 4% Stella

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "4% Stella"

Collapse

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I am from south of Watford. Half a weak shandy for me please. umbrella and cherry.
    and a £160k 1 bed flat

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I am from south of Watford. Half a weak shandy for me please. umbrella and cherry.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Listen sunshine, 'real' ale isnt any old beers so I dont need to do any 'reading up' on it! Neither is it brewed in a hurry.

I suggest you take your own advice and do some reading up on 'real' ale and not shyte like Thwaites and Tetleys!
    Although don't start with the Wikipedia entry on cask ale - although it's been slightly improved, much of it still comes straight from a single blog post which is so far removed from any understanding of the matter as to be utterly laughable.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    How about some facts? I would suggest that you do some reading up on beers first and then comment. As a starting point. because beer is mostly water a lot depends on where it is brewed.

Second point most British beers are brewed in a hurry and the fermention is killed of artifically; this is not the case in most European countries that have far better regulations.

Many European brands are brewed in the UK and ****ed-up and so are not the same as the original brand.

I have many other points but that's enough for now.
    Listen sunshine, 'real' ale isnt any old beers so I dont need to do any 'reading up' on it! Neither is it brewed in a hurry.

I suggest you take your own advice and do some reading up on 'real' ale and not shyte like Thwaites and Tetleys!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Lager in Europe is often is more like pale ale, and I think it's great. It is often 6-7% though... needs to be drunk like wine rather than by the pint.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Larger even at 5% is a girlies drink!

Stick to propper british 'real ale' if you want a good tasting strong beer. Not this continental 'pop.'
    How about some facts? I would suggest that you do some reading up on beers first and then comment. As a starting point. because beer is mostly water a lot depends on where it is brewed.

Second point most British beers are brewed in a hurry and the fermention is killed of artifically; this is not the case in most European countries that have far better regulations.

Many European brands are brewed in the UK and ****ed-up and so are not the same as the original brand.

I have many other points but that's enough for now.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
    Much as I like the stronger lagers, I have come to the following conclusion: the strength is required to mask the inferior quality.

I got fed up with real ales a while back, but I'm coming back to them now. If you want taste without going overboard on the % then bitters & porters are the way forward.

I kept noticing that my favourite lagers were getting stronger and stronger - that's because the old addage was true all along - lager is pish! Any lager below 5% tastes thin and bland. Now you are starting to see more 5.5 - 6% lagers appearing - bad news for more than 1 or 2.

So with lager you really are just buying tramp juice - no wonder I was starting to get worse hangovers when I went out (thought it was an age thing - I now realise I was drinking twice as much alcohol over an evening!).

Still can't grow a beard though.
    100% correct.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Larger even at 5% is a girlies drink!

Stick to propper british 'real ale' if you want a good tasting strong beer. Not this continental 'pop.'

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
    Much as I like the stronger lagers, I have come to the following conclusion: the strength is required to mask the inferior quality.

I got fed up with real ales a while back, but I'm coming back to them now. If you want taste without going overboard on the % then bitters & porters are the way forward.

I kept noticing that my favourite lagers were getting stronger and stronger - that's because the old addage was true all along - lager is pish! Any lager below 5% tastes thin and bland. Now you are starting to see more 5.5 - 6% lagers appearing - bad news for more than 1 or 2.

So with lager you really are just buying tramp juice - no wonder I was starting to get worse hangovers when I went out (thought it was an age thing - I now realise I was drinking twice as much alcohol over an evening!).

There's some very nice organic cider about which I find doesn't give me a hangover. Then again, neither does magners, but it does taste like tulipe.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    I'll stick to Guinness

Leave a comment:

• Shimano105
    replied

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I do like how a few years ago most lagers were ~4%... Carlsberg, Heineken etc. Then they all got replaced with "continental" versions at 5%. Now they are all being replaced with 4% versions.

I do like Becks Vier though.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    If I do drink beer at lunchtime I certainly don't drink anything lagerish unless it's a very hot day. If it is very hot odds are I drink something soft anyway.

I couldn't care less about them making a 4% Stella, it's hardly a particularly special beer and I don't make any effort to drink beers because of their strength, it's the taste I buy beer for.

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    Good on'em, There's a demand for this type of pilsener in the lunchtime market. Becks do it so why shouldn't they.

What pilse do you take at lunchtime? maybe there should be a poll for our favourite lunch beer?

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    started a topic 4% Stella

4% Stella

The Belgians will be pissing themselves at us catering for the Fosters/Carling chav market.

I'm composing a strong letter (5.2%) to the Times.

Working...
X