• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Changes to incapacity benefits"

Collapse

• IncapacityBenefitClaimant
    replied
    What ?

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    So the plan is new claimants for incapacity benefits will only get the full amount if they are a)deemed totally unable to work or b)go to training/interviews based on what they CAN do. If your disability doesn't prevent you from working, and you don't attend training, you only get unemployment benefit rather than the higher incapacity benefit.

The idea seems like something CUKers would be in favour of - hitting back at scrounging chavs - but somehow I'm suspicious any Labour initiative will get widely praised here... comments?

I am currently on Incapacity Benefit and receive a total of £75.40 per week, with this money i am expected to pay all the same bills as a single working person that earns on average 25,000 per year,i receive a total of £3,920 year,

I am not a "scrounging chav" as described above but a human being with all the same costs to pay as the average working single person recieves more than 6 times the money than me.

Do you think this is fair ?

Leave a comment:

• dinker
    replied
    What Labour say and what they do are two different things.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Surely CUK deserves some merit and funding from the NHS ?

After all, we do a grand job providing warmth, compassion and tolerance to several people who would otherwise run amok in the public domain.

If it wasn't for CUK, some of these people might be attending trendy parties somewhere near you and torturing guests with their pedantry and carrier bag collections.

Three cheers for CUK, saving the planet one geek at a time !

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Maybe such people just die, and it's attributed to starvation or drugs or suicide?
    No.... they become MPs

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    I havent heard of depression in third world countries that keeps people off work.
    Maybe such people just die, and it's attributed to starvation or drugs or suicide?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    I think you misunderstand the effects of depression... people suffering are sometimes physically unable to get out of bed, if they were forced into work they'd just sit and stare at the screen all day. Actually, maybe they'd fit right in!
    I havent heard of depression in third world countries that keeps people off work. I am not sure that the rest of society should accept that they should pay to keep people just because "they are too depressed" to get out of bed. It is a tough world out there and I bet there would be an awful lot of "depressed people" out there who would suddenly discover a work ethic if benefits were withdrawn.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I have the feeling spin is making a comeback.
    Yeah just like the Boomerang

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    This is precisely why I think that this initiative is 'spin' !!
    I have the feeling spin is making a comeback.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    How does that work then I thought the recieved "wisdom" here was those on benefits vote Labour?

This is precisely why I think that this initiative is 'spin' !!

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Luxury, it was wooden lungs in my day

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    opposition

It's been obvious to anyone with a brain cell that NL have moved people off unemployment benefit on to the sick so they can claim they are reducing unemployment.

That trick has been going on since the late 80s. The difference being the current government were doing it as the economy expanded which is rather silly.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    The snot goblin has got to cut spending somewhere, so why not start with an easy target, the sick. The government has been running a very effective spin campaign that all those on sickness benefit are malingerers. None of them are ever going to find an employer who will take them on when there are an infinite number of fit, young migrants to do the job.

It is just a spending cut by stealth and a good way of masking the actual rise in unemployment.
    opposition

It's been obvious to anyone with a brain cell that NL have moved people off unemployment benefit on to the sick so they can claim they are reducing unemployment.

All NL should be shot in the head. Starting with Hazel Blears...

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    At this point, I stopped reading and my imagination just took over. Fit... young... mmmmmmmmm
    Exactly! Who do you want working for you; a bit of eastern euro totty or some sick, poverty-worn chav?

"get 'em back to work", my

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    ...an infinite number of fit, young migrants ...
    At this point, I stopped reading and my imagination just took over. Fit... young... mmmmmmmmm

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    And if that doesn't work, tell them "pull yourself together"?
    Then sacrifice them to appease the gods to bring the economy back on track. Well, worth a punt, anyway.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X