• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Sterling strength against Euro???"

Collapse

• Cyberman
    replied
    The pound will weaken again soon. Interest rate cuts are being mooted again in the media today, which is very good news indeed.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    How do they feel about Italy then?
    Italy still produces some real value. They still have some of the best manufacturing industries in the world instead of some paper economies.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Italy does have high public debt, but it doesn't have a housing bubble

Regarding the banking system the reason is only because it's still in the middle ages.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by Rantor View Post
    For some strange reason, I hear this guys voice when I read your posts.
    Carrying on the theme, I tend to hear this guy instead

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    at least this Harry Enfield character can work out the bleeding obvious even with half a brain.

Leave a comment:

• Rantor
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    The Euro does not necessarily force fiscal responsibility, but it does remove an individual country's control of its own economy by using fiscal measures such as raising or lowering its own interest rates. Thus, those in a recession are locked in to a longer recession than is desirable.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Italy is not bringing the Euro crashing down, perhaps because it is not big enough. In fact it's the other way round, Italy is the Euro member country with the strongest sentiment in favour of leaving and bringing back their old currency. Presumably the Euro enforces fiscal responsibility, and the Italians don't like that.

The Euro does not necessarily force fiscal responsibility, but it does remove an individual country's control of its own economy by using fiscal measures such as raising or lowering its own interest rates. Thus, those in a recession are locked in to a longer recession than is desirable.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB View Post
    Then you should have negotiated the cheque (dunno who'll do this but Barclays always used to). Basically you sell them the cheque as a negotiable instrument, instant credit at an agreed rate (I used to get interbank 250k -0.25% on FrF). In the event of the cheque not clearing (usually some time later of course) then it debited back (at the rate at the time of course).
    Not come across that, thanks for the info. Normally, I don't like paper cheques but the normal mechanism borked one month and the cheque just turned up... nothing in contracts to stipulate HOW payment is made. In fact my rate is in £ but the contract says they can pay in £ or in $ at the current exchange rate.

Leave a comment:

• Rantor
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Italy is not bringing the Euro crashing down, perhaps because it is not big enough. In fact it's the other way round, Italy is the Euro member country with the strongest sentiment in favour of leaving and bringing back their old currency. Presumably the Euro enforces fiscal responsibility, and the Italians don't like that.
    The Itallian people don't like it because they (possibly correctly) associated it with a sudden decline in purchasing power.

They could find themselves in the position of having to bail out of the euro to let their currency devalue. Its what all governments used to do when their economies were chronically uncompetitive and the single currency stops that. We, one the other hand, can still have a 'the pound in your pocket....' address from GB at any moment.

Aren't there anecdotal tales of Germans refusing to take euro notes printed outside of Germany?

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    The only country in the world where house prices have risen further, private debt was higher (per capita) is Iceland (not the USA) !! I rest my case.

Italy does have high public debt, but it doesn't have a housing bubble or a broken banking system.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    I think the Euro zone countries are breathing a sigh of relief that the UK isn't in it, otherwise it might bring the Euro crashing down.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I think the Euro zone countries are breathing a sigh of relief that the UK isn't in it, otherwise it might bring the Euro crashing down.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I had a cheque for ~$10K sent by post from the US... in the 3 weeks it's taken so far to clear, rates have varied between 1.7 & 1.85.
    Then you should have negotiated the cheque (dunno who'll do this but Barclays always used to). Basically you sell them the cheque as a negotiable instrument, instant credit at an agreed rate (I used to get interbank 250k -0.25% on FrF). In the event of the cheque not clearing (usually some time later of course) then it debited back (at the rate at the time of course).

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    I just can't figure out whether there is any 'real' reason for the strength of the pound to increase now - it might just be a blip I suppose.
    The reason could be that the Euro block as a whole are more stuffed than we are. There are some real potential basket cases in there and a good chance the Euro may not survive this slump if things get difficult.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X