• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Poor Estate Agents

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Poor Estate Agents"

Collapse

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    If that is true then how do you explain this?

You do not seem to think much of us Dodgy? Why are you in the business and do you not think you are conning your clients by supplying them with what you think are a bunch of overpaid know nothings?
    I think very highly of contractors. I hold them in greater esteem than recruitment agents as you should all know by now. However if one of you starts to get a tad self righteous and pompous - Bagpuss and SAS you know who you are, then its slap down time. I expect the same treatment in return in the unusual event that I am ever pompous or righteous (which is of course never )

In my eyes everyone is equal except for those who make me money, These people are then more equal than others.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    If ever there was a "profession" that was disproportionately rewarded in relation to what it delivers, IT contractors are it.
    I don't especially disagree with that sentiment. Considering many on this board like to boast how they only (have to) work 50% of the time they are paid £100K/year for, and it's not something you need loads of qualifications to do.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it. Dodgy will be filing for bankruptcy next year.
    I usually quite like Dodgy, but he has been getting more adversarial lately. He often makes very valid points but then goes and spoils it by attacking us for no real reason.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

You do not seem to think much of us Dodgy? Why are you in the business and do you not think you are conning your clients by supplying them with what you think are a bunch of overpaid know nothings?
    I wouldn't worry about it. Dodgy will be filing for bankruptcy next year.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    I am simply applying two different sets of logic to two different points, both of which conclude that contractors are no worse or better than anyone else.

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    If ever there was a "profession" that was disproportionately rewarded in relation to what it delivers, IT contractors are it.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Dodgy, if (sentence 1) we are "only as useful or valuable as what people are prepared to pay you" then (sentence 2) "disproportionately rewarded in relation to what it delivers" can not be true.

The reward is not disproportionate, because it is determined by the demand for what it delivers; it is proportionate by definition.
    I am simply applying two different sets of logic to two different points, both of which conclude that contractors are no worse or better than anyone else.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Dodgy, if (sentence 1) we are "only as useful or valuable as what people are prepared to pay you" then (sentence 2) "disproportionately rewarded in relation to what it delivers" can not be true.

The reward is not disproportionate, because it is determined by the demand for what it delivers; it is proportionate by definition.
    Don't confuse him, he's only an agent

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    They provide the means to the turnover by having shops and advertising in the press. If they did not exist HMG would not see as much tax as it gets, that's for sure, as you would not get anywhere near as many buyers matched to sellers, and consequently sellers would not get such good prices.
    They're doomed anyway. The online agencies/DIY sites will eventually kill 'em off. The vermin.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    That's the agent fallacy, that just because something valuable passes through their hands, they are responsible for creating that value.

As with contract agents: "WE create the contracts" (no they don't).

So with estate agents: they don't create the turnover on which the tax goes to HMRC, it merely passes through their hands. whether it is a good or bad thing that it does so, is a different question; but certainly, they do not create that wealth, so they do not create the tax revenue.

They provide the means to the turnover by having shops and advertising in the press. If they did not exist HMG would not see as much tax as it gets, that's for sure, as you would not get anywhere near as many buyers matched to sellers, and consequently sellers would not get such good prices.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Whatever intellectual snobbery you want to wrap your self importance up in, you like very other turd washed through the S bend are only as useful or valuable as what people are prepared to pay you.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied

Erm, I'm trying to think of an argument against that and I can't.

Still - who's the twat?

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    Estate agents are in the private sector and thus are no burden on the taxpayer, they contribute absolutely Billions to Gordon's tax coffers by their efforts, in income tax, VAT and indirectly in stamp duty. Without their efforts, Gordon would have been in deep doo-doo long before now. No doubt, he is certainly missing the housing market contibution right now.
    That's the agent fallacy, that just because something valuable passes through their hands, they are responsible for creating that value.

As with contract agents: "WE create the contracts" (no they don't).

So with estate agents: they don't create the turnover on which the tax goes to HMRC, it merely passes through their hands. whether it is a good or bad thing that it does so, is a different question; but certainly, they do not create that wealth, so they do not create the tax revenue.

Leave a comment:

• sunnysan
    replied
    F"£$%Ns

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Fuxtons are ***** of the highest order. Not only are they *****, they are useless ***** (the worst kind of ****). I refuse to deal with them, either as a vendor or purchaser.
    I would but I have a rental contract with them. I heard a good quip the other day

"Ahh F£$%^ns, everybody uses them. Only once though"

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
    They were exposed as shifty crooks last year, if memory serves.
    Yes, the scam goes something like;

Agent to purchaser: Oh, use our in-house (Almost)IFA - he'll be able to get you the best deal.
    IFA to Agent: They are worth so much mmore than they have told you, upsell them.
    Agent to purchaser: That house you were interested in has just gone, but this (much higher priced) property is "Absolutely perfect" for you...

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    and the time machine arrived in 1976..just in time for the hilarious Mind your Language
    They were exposed as shifty crooks last year, if memory serves.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X