• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Permie interview

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Permie interview"

Collapse

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by OrangeHopper View Post
    Oh, I strongly advise you don't go there unless you absolutely have to. I've been at it three months, after 21 years as a contractor, and I am wondering how long I can put up with it.
    Me too - I was 20 years as contractor apart from four years, recently went permie due to market conditions.

I actually like the job etc, just fecking hate our new manager, we all do - wänker...

It's given me the impulse to get out ASAP
    Last edited by stek; 5 March 2011, 13:42.

Leave a comment:

• OrangeHopper
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Oh I don't know. A little of what's bad for you and all that.
    Oh, I strongly advise you don't go there unless you absolutely have to. I've been at it three months, after 21 years as a contractor, and I am wondering how long I can put up with it.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    And stay away from the dark side
    Oh I don't know. A little of what's bad for you and all that.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    an application form.

Just remember the Greenham Women's slogan: "They Can't Kill The Spirit"

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    And stay away from the dark side

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Keep the faith VectraMan.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    So, the face to face permie interview went really well, and no stoopid HR type questions, just techie stuff and talking about all the things I've done. However they had a couple of other people to interview (I'd hoped that by getting past the phone interview I was the first choice).

I've been waiting to hear back all week, and the agent finally phones me with feedback saying I did "suprisingly well" at the code test and interview (not quite sure how to take that). So now they've sent me: an application form. With lots of stupid questions like previous employer and "why did you leave", plus two references. I'm almost tempted to write N/A in big letters over the whole thing and send it back with a covering letter saying "do you f***ing want me to work for you or not?".

Meanwhile after feeling somewhat despondant at the start of the week that permiedom might be my only option, I've had numerous calls about contract roles, and there's suddenly promising signs from the Plan B too.

I think I need to lie down.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Car-sharing with Wilmslow?
    There's a benefit I'd never even considered.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    then where does that leave me? Hmmm.
    Employable.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    That went really well, and I've been invited to a face to face interview next week. I have a horrible feeling I'm going to get this job, and then where does that leave me? Hmmm.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    That went really well, and I've been invited to a face to face interview next week. I have a horrible feeling I'm going to get this job, and then where does that leave me? Hmmm.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    BS, apart from "tell us something unusual about yourself" .
    I had that once on a worldwide conference call when I was home and having to introduce myself to 20 team members.

I piped up with 'I am ranked in the top 100 at foosball in the UK and i am presently taking this conference call naked'

'Ewwwwwww' came an audible reply from some American lass.

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    HR people have to do something. If all they want to do is ask inane questions then there's no harm in that.

It's interesting because when you have too many people on board a project, some folk inevitably like to stick their oar in and 'do' something even though it would be better if they actually sat back and did nothing. I'm thinking of some projects where, for example, there have been too many business analysts or project managers who have only managed to cock things up and have been no help whatsoever.

Developers usually have no problem doing nothing, and testers never really do much anyway. It's the busy body manager-types who cause all the problems.
    i don't know developers doing nothing can cause all manner of problems when you realise there is no code at the end of a project

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Phone interview for a permie role this morning.
    Best of luck

Leave a comment:

Working...
X