• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Gartner's #1 money saving tip: ditch your contractors"

Collapse

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    What it means is that after the LSE's outage for a full day the other week:
    Apart from the trendy "it the fault of Microsoft", what was the actual problem at the LSE?

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
    And someone else beat me to it. Actually, strike that, I don''t know what it means, I'd hate to be the one imbuing the Gartner's article with any credibility.
    What it means is that after the LSE's outage for a full day the other week:

Another design goal was extreme reliability. Microsoft claimed that the system had “100% reliability.” Dual processing sites were configured and the system could recover from any component failure within a second. It is reported that the LSE offers a five-9s SLA (Service Level Agreement). Unfortunately, this outage shoots the SLA for the next 84 years.

Leave a comment:

• Tensai
    replied
    I'd hate to be the one imbuing the Gartner's article with any credibility.
    If it helps, you're not. I doubt the analyst needs a PhD to state something quite so staggeringly obvious, "i.e. don't pay for something you don't need."

The project I inherited had a bunch of management consultants hanging on doing, essentially, PM work. At £1300/day. I took great pleasure in telling them (politely) that their services were no longer required.

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    99.999% (five nines) availability or 99.9% (three nines) availability, a lot easier to reach.
    And someone else beat me to it. Actually, strike that, I don''t know what it means, I'd hate to be the one imbuing the Gartner's article with any credibility.

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    WTF does that mean?
    99.999% (five nines) availability or 99.9% (three nines) availability, a lot easier to reach.

Leave a comment:

• Tensai
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    WTF does that mean?
    Allowed downtime. 5 nines = 99.999% uptime (i.e. downtime approx 5 mins/year) . 3 nines = 99.9%.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    11. If there are places where you don't need five nines of availability, settle for three nines.
    WTF does that mean?

Leave a comment:

• sappatz
    replied
    gartner

Gartner = son of bitches

Leave a comment:

• beaker
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    Contractor UK's 20 ways of cutting spelling and gramatical mistakes in Gartner's carppy article:

Especially.
    More American management bulltulip speak...

"strategize ways to save money with vendors"

I have an MBA but despise all the usual management speak. I doubt half the people working for Gartner have any industry knowledge at all...

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Contractor UK's 20 ways of cutting spelling and gramatical mistakes in Gartner's cr4ppy article:

Don't ignore "unmanaged" costs like printers or data center power. Specially DC Power.

Especially.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    WHS

Anyone - how was it who said "if you think hiring a professional is expensive - try hiring an amateur"?
    It is usually attributed to Red Adair, I can't find anything to back that up though.

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    WHS. And Gartmore too. Tosspots.
    Just heard the contractor budget is front & centre for the chop here.
    But look at it the "weasle way":
    1. Hire contractors - implement projects. Manager is a can-do guy.
    2. Fire contractors - reduce budget expenditure. Manager is a cost-saving guy.
    It's a win/win !

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    It's not just Britain; it's infected the whole of Europe in the last 10 years as previously well run continental companies fell for the so-called 'Anglo-Saxon' economic model of quick profits in the short term, mega bonusses for management and hire-and-fire policies.
    True, but I only really understand it from a UK perspective.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    To Transformation.
    I Transformation.
    He Transformations.
    She Transformations.
    You Transformation.
    They Transformation.

Sorry, doesn't make sense to me.
    I've been waiting for the chance to rant about those posters, but I think I'll just go for a cup of tea instead.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Vain hope indeed.

Pointless middle and upper management will tend to survive in this country at the expense of people who can actually do real things, it's been that way for a very long time.
    It's not just Britain; it's infected the whole of Europe in the last 10 years as previously well run continental companies fell for the so-called 'Anglo-Saxon' economic model of quick profits in the short term, mega bonusses for management and hire-and-fire policies.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X