• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone seen a recession yet?"

Collapse

• wc2
    replied
    Yesterday, I drove through a little village, the smell was awful - Burning rubber - Then I saw it....

Black smoke coming from a chimney.

Looks like one of the locals has switched from coal to old car tyres.

Extra tax on part worms imminent.

Doomed

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by topgun View Post
    I see more posts on contractoruk than ever before.
    nonsense

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    In Wales, farmers have reported a massive drop in sheep molestation.

People just can't afford the fuel to drive up into the hill country any more.

Farmers now intend to move the flocks into the lower pastures as an aid to the community.

The move has been hailed as a great benefit to the community by the sheep worriers society of Wales.

Leave a comment:

• topgun
    replied
    I see more posts on contractoruk than ever before.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    In Wales, farmers have reported a massive drop in sheep molestation.

People just can't afford the fuel to drive up into the hill country any more.

Farmers now intend to move the flocks into the lower pastures as an aid to the community.

The move has been hailed as a great benefit to the community by the sheep worriers society of Wales.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
    I've got to admit, there's a massive difference in Sunderland - has been noticable for the last 3 - 6 months.
    Thursday and Friday nights the pubs are empty, and Saturdays are only marginally better.
    Durham is exactly thr same.

So the very poor are being hit hard - spare cash which would have gone on drinking (in the North East that tends to be people's "treat" money) is now going on utilities/fuel costs/etc There's just no money left for pubs and entertainment.

There've been a few restaraunts and quite a few pubs close - scarey times.
    Love it. Everyone else is looking at unemployment, SA is looking at booze and food. Classic.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Please don't tell me you are going to be here all week.
    Result

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Don't try the veal either, it's crap.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    One of my cheques bounceed yesterday. "Insufficient Funds"

The banks must be in a really bad way

Please don't tell me you are going to be here all week.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    One of my cheques bounced yesterday. "Insufficient Funds"

The banks must be in a really bad way

Last edited by Diver; 18 October 2008, 18:04.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    I lent my brother a tenner yesterday, it turns out I'm now listed Britain's fourth biggest lender

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    Roseby's (bedding, curtains and the like) is having a closing down sale.
    Roseby's is ALWAYS closing down.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    In Twickenham, several local shops are struggling and 6 have closed down. The butchers, grocers, a greetings cards shop, two gift shops and the toy store. Roseby's (bedding, curtains and the like) is having a closing down sale. It's not looking good on the high street here.

Some of the contractors at clientco are looking around and finding it difficult - mostly agencies fishing for leads or low paid work. One lad (who admittedly has quite a niche skillset) is only seeing permie jobs, no contract work around for his skillset.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Yes I agree. We have held onto our 3 year old car instead of upgrading. The local dealer has called us to ask where were and why we weren't buying. That's £12k taken out of the local economy straight off.

We haven't booked a single holiday for next year, normally we would book two.

We spoke to a firm in Manchester last week about a Sky box repaired and the lady on the reception said they were getting made redundant next week.

Contractors have got laid off from local employers here in the NW. A friendly agency rang me last week asking if I had any warm leads, he said he had just 1 job on his books for the NW region. My rate is now being undercut by ~£10 an hour on the same job for new starters. This is the only job with any real prospects locally. Luckily I was in first so I have most of the "knowledge" sewn up. It's grim.

Leave a comment:

• Ivor Bigun
    replied
    Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
    I know it's big news, on the BBC news evey night, so it "must be true" but has anybody actually seen any sign of this recession yet? Personally, I mean.
    Yep - seen loads. People I know are:
    - buying / driving cheaper cars
    - going on holidays less
    - having less parties
    - getting made redundant
    - making "lifestyle" decisions - Selling and renting
    - taking little jonny out of private education
    - Buying second hand on Ebay

Of the people I know who have been made redundant, none have another job. a few have started temping (not in IT) on less than their permie rate.

Also, I've noticed:
    - discretionary goods are cheaper - leather sofa for £400 etc
    - Shops closing down
    - Tradesmen easier to get hold of

I think this time, business owners are preparing for the downturn. Last time, everyone thought it was a "blip". They carried on too long and lost the lot. This time, people are shutting up shop well before and keeping their gains.

The economy is contracting - This is a recession and it will be a depression in a few years.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X