• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Merlin

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Merlin"

Collapse

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Some of the older programmes are brilliant. Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin and Karaoke being just two of them.
    There really isn't anything of this calibre being made any more

Vanity Fair.. not something that I would watch but I remember that series and the quality in writing and acting was there.
    Try watching its modern equivalent, Tudors... another pile of absolute toss
    Agreed. Watched "Elizabeth R" (the one with Glenda "Scraggy Stoat" Jackson) on one of the freebie channels last week - THAT'S how it should be done... proper acting, reasonably in-tune-with-the-facts plots, no tw@tty sexed-up w@nk.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I watched two episodes of Vanity Fair back to back yesterday afternoon on BBC Prime. Worth the license fee (if I had to buy one) on its own.
    Some of the older programmes are brilliant. Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin and Karaoke being just two of them.
    There really isn't anything of this calibre being made any more

Vanity Fair.. not something that I would watch but I remember that series and the quality in writing and acting was there.
    Try watching its modern equivalent, Tudors... another pile of absolute toss
    Last edited by Spacecadet; 29 September 2008, 11:02.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I watched two episodes of Vanity Fair back to back yesterday afternoon on BBC Prime. Worth the license fee (if I had to buy one) on its own.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    Agreed. This isn't meant to be adult viewing, surely?

Perhaps the real question is why the BBC are scheduling kids programmes in a prime-time slot.
    Because they want adults to watch it with their sprogs, thus getting the family audience, and sell it to the States for a lucrative ROI.

By the way, Richard Wilson is in it with an unconvincing wig. FFS.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Maybe I'll get flamed for this but my two kids really enjoyed it, but of harmless fun and a lot better than X factor stuff

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    I had the misfortune of watching this for 10 minutes last night
    Another cliche ridden saturday night yawn fest seemingly designed to keep the Sun readership away from whatever ITV/SkyOne is showing

Should the BBC really be wasting license payers money on this crap?
    No. But for some reason it is widely thought that, having given the BBC a non-commercial source of funding, its success should then be judged on audience share, i.e. the more like a commercially-funded network it becomes, the better. I don't understand it.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Can you provide an example of 'socially important' programmes to provide a reference...
    Top Gear

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    She's sent me upstairs because she's watching a CSI that I've seen

I get this terrible and irresistible urge to tell her what's going to happen next
    Only you don't go upstairs do you? It's all piecing together in a CSI kind of way.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ncelled-2.html

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Which is, of course, the point of life.
    She's sent me upstairs because she's watching a CSI that I've seen

I get this terrible and irresistible urge to tell her what's going to happen next

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    Yes! My wife hates that too
    Which is, of course, the point of life.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    It was truly awful. The only redeeming feature was my pointing out to Mrs OG every 30 seconds: 'And they wouldn't have had <insert anachronistic feature> in early post-Roman Britain'.
    Yes! My wife hates that too

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    It was truly awful. The only redeeming feature was my pointing out to Mrs OG every 30 seconds: 'And they wouldn't have had <insert anachronistic feature> in early post-Roman Britain'.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Strictly Come Dancing?

<puts on tin hat>
    With the outfits some of those birds wear, some of us do

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    It's for kids... underachieving kids, but kids nonetheless.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    And why not?

Trouble is, what are the BBC making for grown-ups to enjoy?

All their big-budget productions are kid's stuff (Dr Who etc.) or tiresome period dramas. All their major feature documentaries are dumbed-down beyond belief (e.g. Horizon).

I think the problem is largely that the BBC now employs 'children' who have been raised on a diet of pap in their production departments.
    Strictly Come Dancing?

<puts on tin hat>

Leave a comment:

Working...
X