• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Independant Methodists"

Collapse

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Sal, I suppose the point I'm trying to make is that the people getting married were obviously very happy with the ceremony.

How many hecklers were there at your wedding?

Also, surely religion is between a man/woman and their God?
    Hmmmm the people getting married were a strong, independant, well travelled, marvellous lass, own house own career, proper top bird, who because of wierd crazy god beliefs has decided to marry my mate after 6 months...my mate being an ex druggie, ex treasuror of the north east branch of the NF, crazy loon who 8 months ago banged his head and became a born again christian.

But that aside, no I wasn't heckling. Every fibre in my being wanted to scream out "stop this nonsense now you idiots" but of course I didn't!
    But I couldn't help my shock at the ceremony - if I got invited to a scientologists wedding I'd be able to prepare myself for the craziness...but I simply wasn't prepared for that. And neither were any of the other non believers there.

It was a very odd, very scarey experience. Brain washing at it's best - right under our noses.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Thanks for explaining it because none of use had a clue what you were banging on about. But then, I'm assuming none of us were at that wedding so no surprise there...
    Last edited by ratewhore; 25 September 2008, 10:13.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    When I got married, 18 years ago, the little woman and I agreed that I'd take all the big decisions, but she'd take all the small decisions. After all, I didn't want her constantly disturbing me when I'm watching the footie, for example.

So far, there have been no big decisions.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
    Erm, I think you've got that the wrong way round there!
    Sal, I suppose the point I'm trying to make is that the people getting married were obviously very happy with the ceremony.

How many hecklers were there at your wedding?

Also, surely religion is between a man/woman and their God?

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    To chants of "Burn the Witch", no doubt!

When do you get mains electricity Sal?
    Erm, I think you've got that the wrong way round there!

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Yeah that's pretty much what me and my mate said, kind of out loud
    To chants of "Burn the Witch", no doubt!

When do you get mains electricity Sal?

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    Bollocks to that....
    Yeah that's pretty much what me and my mate said, kind of out loud

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Well, I certainly know who wears the trousers!

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    You don't worry your pretty head about that darlin'

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Bollocks to that....
    You don't worry your pretty head about that darlin'

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied

a) the entire service was about the wife choosing to live her life in the shadow of her husband. He is her superior and she will live out her days bowing to him etc etc etc
    Bollocks to that....

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    a) the entire service was about the wife choosing to live her life in the shadow of her husband. He is her superior and she will live out her days bowing to him etc etc etc
    You're just aching for a reaction, aren't you?

They also spent a good 10 minutes talking about "loving your own body before you can properly love your partners"!!! "Spend time gettign to know your own body - love it. REALLY love it!" etc etc
    That covers most of the "Onanists" on here then!

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    I think your commoner garden Methodists are just your normal church goers. Nowt wrong with that. But these Independent Methodists...they're off their rocker!

I've bizarrely been mixed up with a few lately...

The christening last year was odd to say the least, but still kind of cool. They played Who Wants To Be A Jesus Millionaire in the church/hut. Had a big projector screen and called one of the parishioners up to answer the bible related questions - "ask the audience" decended into chaos

The sermans were all a little odd, but all directed at the little baby and reasonably appropriate. I left thinking, all a bit new age, a bit left wing hippyish and odd, but generally each to their own ok.

However, I was at a Independent Methodist wedding last weekend....and I nearly ran out during the service shouting "you're all mentalists" a la Alan Partridge!

They also spent a good 10 minutes talking about "loving your own body before you can properly love your partners"!!! "Spend time gettign to know your own body - love it. REALLY love it!" etc etc

b) there was a band - electric guitar and all that, and the songs were really really odd, lyrics wise. "They killed him and they know it" stylee.

c) During the songs the patrons all threw their hands in the air and screamed hallelulha and all that - like black gospel churches I must admit I found this bit quite cool. Better than the stuff "white" quiet churches you normally get.

d) they made the bride and groom walk rouns the church 3 times for everyone to look at them.

e) reception was in the church hall at the back, and was for 3 hours. 3 hours of cups of tea and cream cakes!!!! Independent methodists dont believe in booze on the premises (wish someone had told us that before we got our hip flask out)

Just very very very odd!!!
    The people were very nice though, I must admit. A nice group of folks. All had that smug Jesus glow about them, but seemed decent enough people.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by ace00 View Post
    Playing the totaliterian field - cunning.
    Well its only an internet forum. Luckily truth does not have to enter into the equation.

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Not me. I am only in the BNP and the communist party so I have a way to go yet.
    Playing the totaliterian field - cunning.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X