• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "One in Fifty £1 Coins Are Fakes"

Collapse

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    Texted yesterday - no reply. Will let you know.
    Ok luvvie - thanks!

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    Ok - just wierd he hasn't been around... ta luvvie
    Texted yesterday - no reply. Will let you know.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    That's true, I had one in change once when I tried to spend it the shop wouldn't take it because there was "nowhere for them to enter it on their banking slips".
    Might be easier to force ATMs to deliver £5 notes? Even if a £5 coin you still have to get it into circulation.

I believe in the early nineties the high street banks over ordered massively on 50p pieces - took years to get rid of them. the royal mint refused to accept them back.....

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    wikipedia (apologies)

"Five pound coins are legal tender, but are intended as souvenirs and are almost never seen in circulation (according to the Royal Mint, "most retailers will refuse to accept them"[2]). They may, however, be exchanged for goods and services at post offices.[2] The coins are sold by the Royal Mint at a premium to their face value — the 2008 coins, with presentation folders, are on sale at £9.95 each (as of April 2008).[3]"

Selling £5 for £10 - sounds like a good business model. plan B anyone?
    That's true, I had one in change once when I tried to spend it the shop wouldn't take it because there was "nowhere for them to enter it on their banking slips".

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    wikipedia (apologies)

"Five pound coins are legal tender, but are intended as souvenirs and are almost never seen in circulation (according to the Royal Mint, "most retailers will refuse to accept them"[2]). They may, however, be exchanged for goods and services at post offices.[2] The coins are sold by the Royal Mint at a premium to their face value — the 2008 coins, with presentation folders, are on sale at £9.95 each (as of April 2008).[3]"

Selling £5 for £10 - sounds like a good business model. plan B anyone?

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I would like to see a £5 coin. There is a shortage of £5 notes as few ATMs dispense them.
    There is one.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by pisces View Post
    Bring back the One Pound Note.
    I would like to see a £5 coin. There is a shortage of £5 notes as few ATMs dispense them.

Leave a comment:

• pisces
    replied
    Bring back the One Pound Note.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    You mean that money doesn't just come in notes?
    goats
    Last edited by NickFitz; 23 September 2008, 01:35.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    I still don't get it, sorry

You mean that money doesn't just come in notes?

Don't be silly

Yer pullin my leg

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    South african rand is the same size and weight as pound
    I saw someone using it in a launderette
    You were in a what?

Are contractors' rates really getting hit that badly?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    You'd think - if anyone - they would have been careful to use '£' instead of '£' in their markup.

<looks at the source>

Erm... what's going on there then? Ah... ASP.
    Worse - ASP.NET

It claims in the HTTP Content-Type header to be UTF-8; however the actual bytes being sent for the £ character are 0xef 0xbf 0xbd

That's not ISO Latin-1, nor is it Windows 1252. In fact, I haven't got the faintest idea what it thinks it is

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    No idea mate - will drop him a text.
    Ok - just wierd he hasn't been around... ta luvvie

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    RH - Where is Xen?
    No idea mate - will drop him a text.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    You'd think - if anyone - they would have been careful to use '63;' instead of '£' in their markup.

<looks at the source>

Erm... what's going on there then? Ah... ASP.
    RH - Where is Xen?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X