• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Cheers Gordon!

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Cheers Gordon!"

Collapse

• ace00
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    New plan b, cavity wall and loft insulator.... kerrrrrching.

Charge double bubble... its only tax payers money init.

How the flip is giving people a discount going to help when they need to stump up cash they haven't got to get it installed?
    Free for those who can't afford it:

The measures, part of a wider political relaunch for the Prime Minister ahead of the party conference season, will see up to 11 million households offered free loft and cavity wall insulation in the next few years and others a grant covering 50 per cent of the cost.

Actually I don't think this is such a major change. A few years ago I had a house in the UK loft insulated and it cost 150 quid all-in as it was subsidised by gov.
    But I'm all for it - proper insulation is a win/win. Well done GB Have a cake.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Is there no way to buy a barrel of oil at market prices (e.g. $100 dollars)? Or do you have to buy the more expensive Gordon Brown vintage?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
    One company spokesman interviewed about this on morning TV said that the reduction in oil prices would take a matter of months to filter through the system (by which time the fall would have been forgotten so they needn't bring the prices to the consumer down by the same amount).

What the interviewer failed to point out though is when prices RISE, the cost tothe consumer rises more or less immediately.
    No really?

Leave a comment:

• KathyWoolfe
    replied
    One company spokesman interviewed about this on morning TV said that the reduction in oil prices would take a matter of months to filter through the system (by which time the fall would have been forgotten so they needn't bring the prices to the consumer down by the same amount).

What the interviewer failed to point out though is when prices RISE, the cost tothe consumer rises more or less immediately.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    New plan b, cavity wall and loft insulator.... kerrrrrching.

Charge double bubble... its only tax payers money init.

How the feck is giving people a discount going to help when they need to stump up cash they haven't got to get it installed? Even if they did it's hard to see how all the homes that need it will be done in 6 weeks time? If this is such a great idea shouldn't it have started rolling in April? Or will that start next year? If so what about this winter?

I hope we don’t have big chill this winter, even ‘Teflon Tony’ would have struggled to survive if 50,000 pensioners freeze to death.

Leave a comment:

• Tensai
    replied
    Originally posted by Torran View Post
    you had bread, a belt and a bag and your moaning
    And you tell the young people today, and they won't believe you!

Leave a comment:

• Torran
    replied
    Originally posted by moorfield View Post
    You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, out Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!
    you had bread, a belt and a bag and your moaning

Leave a comment:

• Advocate
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Luxury!
    Of course, we 'ad it tough....

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Yeah, I've noticed that changing generations have changing perceptions, i.e. our daughter thinks that our advice to have CH at about 20C is a form of cruelty. It takes 24C before the hood goes down, but overgarments are still required until 25C. She's off to Uni soon, and I think the lower energy bills will pay the fees!
    People serve red wine at room temperature, ie 28 deg C and think that's right.

Bloody peasants!

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Try this one. It was only the factoid that was amusing (and that was known from a previous source, the first Google found this site), I'm not endorsing the amusement value of the entire website.
    Yeah, I've noticed that changing generations have changing perceptions, i.e. our daughter thinks that our advice to have CH at about 20C is a form of cruelty. It takes 24C before the hood goes down, but overgarments are still required until 25C. She's off to Uni soon, and I think the lower energy bills will pay the fees!

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    The page you were trying to reach could not be found.

Most amusing.
    Try this one. It was only the factoid that was amusing (and that was known from a previous source, the first Google found this site), I'm not endorsing the amusement value of the entire website.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by moorfield View Post
    You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, out Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!
    Luxury!

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Here's an amusing factoid:

By the 1970s, around 30% of households had central heating, (although even with the systems the average internal temperature was still only about 12 degrees).

http://www.dothegreenthing.com/wiki/...n+room+heating.

The page you were trying to reach could not be found.

Most amusing.

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    When I was growing up in the 70's my parents had no central heating, no insulation of any kind and single glazed windows.

In cold winters there would be ice on the inside of my bedroom window by morning.

If you were cold, you'd put on more clothes and do something physical.

Bunch of namby pambies. Poor people should expect to be cold. It's punishment for not achieving anything with your sorry lives.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    I like this quote from Help the Aged:

Today's announcement devalues the word 'strategy'.
    Looking back, I remember we didn't have central heating either. I used to wake up in a freezing bedroom and take my school uniform downstairs to get dressed in front of the fire.

When I were a lad etc etc

Leave a comment:

Working...
X