• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cheers Gordon!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ferret View Post
    So its OK for the energy companies to make obscene profits, that's fine then.

I personally do not see this as a great package. Oil prices are coming down so why aren't the major fuel co's dropping their prices as quickly as they put them up?
    Ah, so you're anti-business.

Comment

I like this quote from Help the Aged:

Today's announcement devalues the word 'strategy'.
      Looking back, I remember we didn't have central heating either. I used to wake up in a freezing bedroom and take my school uniform downstairs to get dressed in front of the fire.

When I were a lad etc etc
      Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        When I was growing up in the 70's my parents had no central heating, no insulation of any kind and single glazed windows.

In cold winters there would be ice on the inside of my bedroom window by morning.

If you were cold, you'd put on more clothes and do something physical.

Bunch of namby pambies. Poor people should expect to be cold. It's punishment for not achieving anything with your sorry lives.

HTH

You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, out Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          Here's an amusing factoid:

By the 1970s, around 30% of households had central heating, (although even with the systems the average internal temperature was still only about 12 degrees).

http://www.dothegreenthing.com/wiki/...n+room+heating.

The page you were trying to reach could not be found.

Most amusing.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
            You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, out Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!
            Luxury!

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
              The page you were trying to reach could not be found.

Most amusing.
              Try this one. It was only the factoid that was amusing (and that was known from a previous source, the first Google found this site), I'm not endorsing the amusement value of the entire website.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                Try this one. It was only the factoid that was amusing (and that was known from a previous source, the first Google found this site), I'm not endorsing the amusement value of the entire website.
                Yeah, I've noticed that changing generations have changing perceptions, i.e. our daughter thinks that our advice to have CH at about 20C is a form of cruelty. It takes 24C before the hood goes down, but overgarments are still required until 25C. She's off to Uni soon, and I think the lower energy bills will pay the fees!

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                  Yeah, I've noticed that changing generations have changing perceptions, i.e. our daughter thinks that our advice to have CH at about 20C is a form of cruelty. It takes 24C before the hood goes down, but overgarments are still required until 25C. She's off to Uni soon, and I think the lower energy bills will pay the fees!
                  People serve red wine at room temperature, ie 28 deg C and think that's right.

Bloody peasants!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    Luxury!
                    Of course, we 'ad it tough....
                    B00med!

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
                      you had bread, a belt and a bag and your moaning

Comment

Working...
                      X