• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "contractor acting like permie"

Collapse

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Its obvious the other contractor is trying to ingratiate himself with the client co. Perhaps he's desparate for an extension? But any contractor working 10 weekends FOC is really creating problems for the other contractors on site.

Id suggest having a friendly word in his shell like and explain to him the potential precedent he could be setting for the client co.

Personally, I dont have a problem doing an extra hour or two during the week. But, 10 free weekends is taking or rather giving, the piss!
    I wouldn't as he will then turn round and tell the client co that you are trying to bully him into not working for free to ingratiate himself even further!

Just leave him to his own devices, if he wants to give away almost a months worth of billable time for free more fool him. I somehow doubt the client co are going to appreciate it as much as he thinks they will.....

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Its obvious the other contractor is trying to ingratiate himself with the client co. Perhaps he's desparate for an extension? But any contractor working 10 weekends FOC is really creating problems for the other contractors on site.

Id suggest having a friendly word in his shell like and explain to him the potential precedent he could be setting for the client co.

Personally, I dont have a problem doing an extra hour or two during the week. But, 10 free weekends is taking or rather giving, the piss!

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    You are justified in using whatever means necessary to destroy the opposition. Have him eliminated, in a display of watertight professionalism.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    Personally, I'm very reluctant to work weekends whatever anyone's paying. I earn quite enough in the week thanks. Ten weekends on the trot? No chance! For free??? You are taking the p155.

Leave a comment:

• chris79
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
    I'd just laugh at him tbh.

No money = no work. If I wanted to work for free I would sign up with some charity.

Lots of people going on about renewal time, but do you really think free weekends is going to make much difference. They will renew if they need your skills and they won't if they don't, doesn't mater how much "free" work the other guy does.
    WHS, and if they don't renew you because of that then you are working for the wrong people.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    I'd just laugh at him tbh.

No money = no work. If I wanted to work for free I would sign up with some charity.

Lots of people going on about renewal time, but do you really think free weekends is going to make much difference. They will renew if they need your skills and they won't if they don't, doesn't mater how much "free" work the other guy does.

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    Originally posted by Turion View Post
    Why does this guy's voluntary work piiss you off? He is doing you a favour as the manager will not be calling on you to work weekends. Buy him a drink, and get on with your life instead of wotrrying about some tit with no life.
    WHS.

No point worrying about a tit with no life.

But a life without tits? I'd worry about that.....
    Last edited by blacjac; 29 August 2008, 14:30.

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    Why does this guy's voluntary work piiss you off? He is doing you a favour as the manager will not be calling on you to work weekends. Buy him a drink, and get on with your life instead of wotrrying about some tit with no life.

Leave a comment:

• eliquant
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Free of charge?

Get him sectioned quick... and hide all the sharp objects.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    Shop the other contractor to hector for behaving like a permi
    Surely IR35 applies to him
    My thoughts exactly. Also, while you're waterboarding him, use nice warm fizzy coke for enhanced effect.

Leave a comment:

• badger7579
    replied
    Even as a permie I would expect time and a half on a weekend or some other extra. An example recently for me, contracted for 7.5 hours a day, went to client DR site for a test which lasted 15 hours... Billed them for 2 days, I agree with most comments here.. If you're working you should be paid..

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    If it bothers you that a colleague is working for nothing I would have a word with the shop steward.

Leave a comment:

• chris79
    replied
    Personally I wouldn't do it, you can make your own promotion at any time, you simply need to find another job.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by jimjamuk View Post
    also thinking about the future - you start doing unpaid weekend work now and the end client is going to think they have an unlimited amount of weekend cover all gratis - all of a sudden those 10 weekends are going to become 12 then 14.

work = money = fun+life

jimjamuk
    (office closed 5pm friday - 9am monday)
    At 5.00pm on a Friday, leave this on your desk:

http://blogs.gelman.gwu.edu/blogs/ec...losed-sign.jpg

Leave a comment:

• jimjamuk
    replied
    also thinking about the future - you start doing unpaid weekend work now and the end client is going to think they have an unlimited amount of weekend cover all gratis - all of a sudden those 10 weekends are going to become 12 then 14.

work = money = fun+life

jimjamuk
    (office closed 5pm friday - 9am monday)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X