• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "If you're thinking of contracting in 2009..."

Collapse

• beaker
    replied
    I sorted out a new contract today at a higher rate, starting right after I finish this one! 3 more months of this malarky then I'll be on a beach in Oz

Leave a comment:

• Peter Loew
    replied
    And yet you have publications like City AM and Computer Weekly etc making statements that say IT contractors will be in a better position thanks to the CC because companies will look to short term (cheap-ish) staff to deliver their projects rather than expensive heavyweight permies.

It's all scaremongering BS. Just keep doin what you're doin.

Leave a comment:

• churkus
    replied
    this "credit crunch" and "recession" etc malarky seems to me to be largely a making of the media, thing is, why?

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    A whole 2% drop in budgets???? MY GOD I'LL BE RUINED!!!!!

Just think on a rate of £300 a day you'll have your rate slashed to £294 a day or if you are on a rate of £500 a day you will have to try and survive on £490 a day....

It's the end of the world as we know it.....

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    So who the flip is this guy, and why should I believe an IT analyst making a bold prediction?
    Some bloke who used to program in COBOL and now coins it as a NED, apparently.

You'd think he could afford a decent web designer, wouldn't you?

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

So ....who's prepared?
    Yes thanks. Just signed my 6 month extension on my highest rate ever. I'll be careful to add to my rainy day fund

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    IT analyst Richard Holway, explaining his bold predictions
    So who the feck is this guy, and why should I believe an IT analyst making a bold prediction?

Leave a comment:

• gadgetman
    replied
    See you there

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    I'm off to Oz, just got to hope the gig holds out until I've got enough cash in the bank...

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    so near me :-) I'm in Zürich.
    Not far away. Plan to visit there one weekend.
    Oerlikon (sp) by any chance?

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I dont mind the weekly commute. I am from NW UK and have never worked at home since I was sixteen (now 44). It is easier to commute to central europe by air than it is to the sarf by road or train and a lot more pleasant when you get there.
    That goes for me too, and I'm in bloody Bedfordshire.

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Currently discussing which of the clients 2010 projects could best use my, ahem, "expertise".

Fingers crossed.
    Nice one - I have craftily schlepped into a project to end December 2009.
    After that I'll have the pension sorted and it's all gravy.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    I'm off to Oz, just got to hope the gig holds out until I've got enough cash in the bank...

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I have done the Zugspitze three times, but not this vist. I contracted in Munich for 5 years. New Years day at Garmisch watching the ski jumping is a good day out.
    I am near Friedrichshafen on Bodensee so doing more in that direction. Across the lake or up into Schwartzwald.
    so near me :-) I'm in Zürich.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Sounds good ...I was down there Penzberg little ex-mining village not far from Garmisch, fantastic place. Been up the Zugspitze yet ?
    I have done the Zugspitze three times, but not this vist. I contracted in Munich for 5 years. New Years day at Garmisch watching the ski jumping is a good day out.
    I am near Friedrichshafen on Bodensee so doing more in that direction. Across the lake or up into Schwartzwald.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I am ignoring it.
    WHere I am is about 10 hours travel from home so I am not bothering. The wife comes over for weeks at a time and we are weekending in Austria, Switzerland and northern Italy instead. What a bugger. Oktoberfest then ski season coming soon too.

[edit] I dont mind the weekly commute. I am from NW UK and have never worked at home since I was sixteen (now 44). It is easier to commute to central europe by air than it is to the sarf by road or train and a lot more pleasant when you get there.
    Sounds good ...I was down there Penzberg little ex-mining village not far from Garmisch, fantastic place. Been up the Zugspitze yet ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X