• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "On your CV do you put the exact dates or just the months that you worked on a site ?"

Collapse

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by stackpole View Post
    It's daft equating IT contracting with plumbing.

A plumber is usually in and out in an hour or two and nobody cares what he is like. But in most cases an IT contractor has to get on with a client's practices, processes and staff over a period of months.

You might think clients are ignorant, but they are the ones who throw CVs into the bin.
    Any client that wants to know an IT contractor's hobbies, his certificates in swimming, what O-Levels he got and whether he is divorced or separated is not any client I'm interested in contracting at. I leave those perma-temp jobs to the IR35 fodder.

Leave a comment:

• stackpole
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    No information about age, marital status, hobbies etc. (You don’t get that info when you ask for a plumber do you?)

Ignorant clients should learn the difference between permanent staff, temporary, agency and contractors.
    It's daft equating IT contracting with plumbing.

A plumber is usually in and out in an hour or two and nobody cares what he is like. But in most cases an IT contractor has to get on with a client's practices, processes and staff over a period of months.

You might think clients are ignorant, but they are the ones who throw CVs into the bin.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Months or even just the year. I have moved away from a typical CV style. It’ none of their F & N & G business when you go on holiday or if you wanted to work or do your own thing.

The first page of my “CV” is more like an advert. All the best info goes on the front page and not in chronological order. I had some great contract but also some dross.

Chronological order stuff goes on page two.

No information about age, marital status, hobbies etc. (You don’t get that info when you ask for a plumber do you?)

Ignorant clients should learn the difference between permanent staff, temporary, agency and contractors.
    WHS + don't attach a photo.

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
    Year/Month/Day/Hour/Second
    Sounds like MarillionFan...

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Months or even just the year. I have moved away from a typical CV style. It’ none of their F & N & G business when you go on holiday or if you wanted to work or do your own thing.

The first page of my “CV” is more like an advert. All the best info goes on the front page and not in chronological order. I had some great contract but also some dross.

Spoken like a real idiot who so thoroughly understands the concept of customer/provider

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    Year/Month/Day/Hour/Second & fag & bog breaks.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    From \ to month, year and whether included extensions.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Month/Year.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Month/year for recent stuff, year only for the older stuff.

I stay within two pages, reverse chronological order, and the older stuff gets smaller type and a one-line description. I'm pretty sure most potential clients aren't particularly interested in how many assembly languages I know.

Actually, I don't think any of them read beyond the last couple of gigs. At virtually every client I've at some point mentioned something from when I was a games programmer in the Eighties, and the person who interviewed me has said "Wow, you were a games programmer?" Given that my CV says "1986 -1990 Games Programmer"...

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    I used to put month/year & Client name in reverse chronological order, i.e. classic CV. I have now changed to Year & industry. Certainly no personal information like marital status. Nor age (I am helping clients to avoid the potentially actionable trap of discriminating by age

Nor where I live, just where I will work.

It's still a CV: for most of us, if we abandon CV completely and go for "brochure", we'll just get asked for a copy of our CV in order to proceed. Educate them if you like, my main aim is getting work.

Leave a comment:

• miffy
    replied

Spot on!

We all need to adopt that format now!

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied

Well put !!

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

Year/Month, but after reading this, I'll switch to year.

Leave a comment:

• Malingering BA
    replied
    Month/year. Three pages maximum, even though it now covers 20 years. The oldest assignments are now just one liners.

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    My CV is on a month/year basis, using selected longer term projects only. I do not list all contracts as some are very short, or not compatible with current situation. No personal stuff of course, or stuff more than 5 yrs old, and no gaps longer than 1 month. Clients see what I want them to see. Will probably start omitting the month and just list by year from now on.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X