• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Walking off site

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Walking off site"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by tay View Post
    Ahh that explains it. They are all idiots with insecurity complexes and small willies.
    I didn't know you were ex forces.

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    Originally posted by chris79 View Post
    You know, it's not often I disagree with myself but the two posts above here have made me think of things in a different light. Thanks for that (no seriously), for once I think maybe I need to adjust my own way of working to help myself out here. It's not an easy thing to admit you might not be correct, I guess it's all too easy to take the dogmatic approach, yes I might technically be correct but I guess it doesn't serve a purpose here.

Cheers.

Well done, you need to be wise in this game ... I wish you all the best..

Oh an congratulation re the new baby, I know how your life can turn upside down with new babies.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Fair enough and to be respected.

Might be tempted to take your manager to one side and have a chat, apologise for being a bit off recently. Believe me a person who points out their own faults can be quite disarming in a potential conflict or difficult situation.

Leave a comment:

• chris79
    replied
    You know, it's not often I disagree with myself but the two posts above here have made me think of things in a different light. Thanks for that (no seriously), for once I think maybe I need to adjust my own way of working to help myself out here. It's not an easy thing to admit you might not be correct, I guess it's all too easy to take the dogmatic approach, yes I might technically be correct but I guess it doesn't serve a purpose here.

Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    So asking for time off when my kid is born and expecting me to agree (as a contractor) to have my holidays and time managed by another contractor is acceptable? Not everyone is a bum on seat umbrella bod like you unfortunately.

Oh Sorry, forgot to add something about the timekeeping.. agreed start time 09.00 hours, apparently turning up at 08.57 is 'late'... expects me to be here at least 10 mins early. Yeah that must be my attitude problem again.
    No but having managed people a lot give and take is a positive and good thing, if you've been a bit of an arse over being managed by a contractor who's being paid to manage then you will get less help than if you've been accomodating yourself, for instance showing up a little early.

Managing projects means you have to rely on your financial and manpower resources and if they're in any way unreliable (or perceived to be) then it gets to be an utter pain in the nads. A recent project was scuppered for 3 weeks when a critical resource was sick for the week before he went on holiday for 2 weeks, unfortunately his manager hadn't told us he had booked 2 weeks off either, it was frustrating, but we had to cope and do what we could, but we still lost 3 weeks unrecoverably with the associated costs.

To be honest while you're in a stressful period with a new child you need to lighten up and do your best to make your managers life easier so when you need help he will try to assist.

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    So asking for time off when my kid is born and expecting me to agree (as a contractor) to have my holidays and time managed by another contractor is acceptable? Not everyone is a bum on seat umbrella bod like you unfortunately.

Oh Sorry, forgot to add something about the timekeeping.. agreed start time 09.00 hours, apparently turning up at 08.57 is 'late'... expects me to be here at least 10 mins early. Yeah that must be my attitude problem again.

May be you live in lala land, or are you a government contractor ... I've never been with an umbrella... the other contractor was contracted to manage a team, you were contracted to do a task, he's got to do his job,... in many of my projects the whole team was contractors, including my managers and manager's manager ... managing holidays and resources time on/off is part of their job... nothing personal you idiot !!

I presume your wife is not popping out babies every other week, and I've been on contracts where it said 9 am start, but everyone in the team turned up between 7:30 and 8am... so I turned up like the rest of them, when in Rome do as the Romans do... seriously and honestly is coming into work half an hour early will make such a huge difference to you?? If your manager is a good man like you say and you really get on with him then just sort yourself and get your arse to work half an hour early...

Leave a comment:

• chris79
    replied
    Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
    The bastward... how could a PM expect his team members (especially contractors) to actually turn up for work and not take a sickie / holiday/ be late regularly to work?? I mean the man is so unreasonable!!! we all know as a contractor we are free to come and go as we like

adjust your attitude mate, its you not him!!

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    To be fair I get on with the guy in every other aspect, but when it comes to time off, sickness, timekeeping etc, it's like a military operation by his rulebook. If I wanted to join the army, I would have! Probably makes me sound like a slacker who can't accept a bit of discipline, but it's the forceful and aggressive attitude as well which I don't think has a place in the office. It's enough to make job satisfaction drop considerably when things don't go right.
    The bastward... how could a PM expect his team members (especially contractors) to actually turn up for work and not take a sickie / holiday/ be late regularly to work?? I mean the man is so unreasonable!!! we all know as a contractor we are free to come and go as we like

adjust your attitude mate, its you not him!!

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Flubster View Post
    Originally Posted by tay
    Ahh that explains it. They are all idiots with insecurity complexes and small willies.
    with EO being the exception to that particular rule.
    Yep. He has no insecurity complex.

Leave a comment:

• Flubster
    replied
    To be fair I get on with the guy in every other aspect, but when it comes to time off, sickness, timekeeping etc, it's like a military operation by his rulebook. If I wanted to join the army, I would have! Probably makes me sound like a slacker who can't accept a bit of discipline, but it's the forceful and aggressive attitude as well which I don't think has a place in the office. It's enough to make job satisfaction drop considerably when things don't go right.
    1. Grow some
    2. Drop him
    3. Take the heat

HTH

Leave a comment:

• chris79
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Flubster
    replied
    with EO being the exception to that particular rule.

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    Well the guy is ex forces

Leave a comment:

• chris79
    replied
    Originally posted by aussielong View Post
    As my Dad once told me. Get this bloke on his own outside, or in the toilets, and ask him man to man what his problem is. You won't get any more grief if you do this. These people respond to such behaviour.
    Well the guy is ex forces, this seems to be part of the problem - applying certain rules and methods to a situation which doesn't warrant it. I refuse to be intimidated into accepting it though, I guess time will tell. Ultimately I could end up losing my client because of it, but I'll accept fate and believe that these things happen for a reason, it will prompt me to take up a new challenge.

Leave a comment:

• LittlestHobbo
    replied
    They can't touch you if you don't give a ****, go and watch SCUM the kid with the big hair has the right idea.

Sometime its just better to walk away though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X