• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Walking off site

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep,

see my post here:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...bout-ir35.html

All worked out for the best. I'm now in a much more interesing project, better location and 10% more money. Should know about a renewal in a week or two.

Tim

Comment

Well to cut a long story short I walked off site last week following abusive behavior and put it in writing requesting termination by mutual agreement.

This was following a long standing issue with "time off", I'm on a very long term project possibly a number of years, and the expectation is that I negotiate my absence arrangements with my 'team leader (as they put it) who is another contractor. His expectations are very different to mine, and when I object to being marked on a hoiday sheet with sick days/holidays/paternity leave etc, the situation always ends up turning very hostile and nasty (not through my own doing). I refuse to be dictated to by another contractor in terms of personnel issues, they cannot treat me like a perm employee when it suits, then a contractor the next - for instance we agreed 24 days leave a year, but the expectation is if I'm off sick it comes out of these days, etc.

Anyway, I got a phone call Monday asking me to go back in, so despite the indifferences I'm now back in but just wondering when the next episode will begin as the client has refused to get involved stating all issues are soley down to this person appointed as my 'team leader'. An expectation that I am to be line managed by this person, very anti-IR35 if you ask me... it's a case of accept it, or p**soff.

I've taken the collect $200 pass GO attitude for now, doesn't stop me feeling a bit peed off about the situation though (primarily because I have 2 young kids and time off to me is more important than money).
      The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

how to sort this out

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
        Well to cut a long story short I walked off site last week following abusive behavior and put it in writing requesting termination by mutual agreement.

I've taken the collect $200 pass GO attitude for now, doesn't stop me feeling a bit peed off about the situation though (primarily because I have 2 young kids and time off to me is more important than money).
        As my Dad once told me. Get this bloke on his own outside, or in the toilets, and ask him man to man what his problem is. You won't get any more grief if you do this. These people respond to such behaviour.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          What bad can happen walking off a permie job?

No one gives a tulipe anyway...

Did that once.

Given notice every other time.
          Depends on how Sherlockian the next employer is - and whether they are likely to even want to hear your side of the story, once they've heard "He walked off the job." from the previous employer.

Comment

Came close just once. Seemed a less complicated option than murder with a blunt instrument.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
              Anyone here walked off site and quit the contract with immediate effect for any reason at all?
              yes. agency went down the tulip hole so i left immediately.

well, i say immediately but i waited until i had booked myself on the next flight home and explained myself to the project lead before leaving immediately.

hmm actually, i think had lunch first, then said goodbye to everyone and then left immediately.

well, i left that day anyway.

Comment

They can't touch you if you don't give a ****, go and watch SCUM the kid with the big hair has the right idea.

Sometime its just better to walk away though.

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
                  As my Dad once told me. Get this bloke on his own outside, or in the toilets, and ask him man to man what his problem is. You won't get any more grief if you do this. These people respond to such behaviour.
                  Well the guy is ex forces, this seems to be part of the problem - applying certain rules and methods to a situation which doesn't warrant it. I refuse to be intimidated into accepting it though, I guess time will tell. Ultimately I could end up losing my client because of it, but I'll accept fate and believe that these things happen for a reason, it will prompt me to take up a new challenge.
                  The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Well the guy is ex forces
                    Ahh that explains it. They are all idiots with insecurity complexes and small willies.

Comment

Originally posted by tay View Post
                      Ahh that explains it. They are all idiots with insecurity complexes and small willies.
                      with EO being the exception to that particular rule.
                      Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Working...
                      X