• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Off The Bench

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Off The Bench"

Collapse

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
    Oh yes - which is why a) my CV is PDF'd, so no cretin can change it b) has in big bold letters "You must not sent this to any client without my express permission" on it and c) I will never agree to my CV being sent without knowing who the client is. Ever.

I've seen it all, both as an employer and as someone looking for employment.
    Useful tips - having not had to have initial dealings with an agency for over three years now (two years in agency contract, subsequently approached directly by clients) I shall bear this in mind if I find myself going through the agency mill again

Leave a comment:

• Solent
    replied
    Cheers Fitzy273

Lots of calls from AgencyA, send us an E-Mail about what has happened and we can probably secure you an interview slot with the client for tomorrow. Oh, yes... as if that is going to happen.

Can you imagine turning up for an interview and meeting the client, the embarrasement, b*gger that, our self pride is a lot more important.

If they want you that much they will inform the agency, I'm not going to go through that hardship so the agency gets their placement... But AgencyB, have truely been underhand and B*st*rds just to make a killing with their competitors. Umm, sometimes we are slaves at the market to them. Ok, rant over.

Back to opening another 'tinny'

Leave a comment:

• fitzy73
    replied
    Originally posted by Solent View Post

However before securing this new gig, got put forward for a role (Agency A), great, right skill set, the client were keen to see me and then approached by another agency (Agency B). I interuppted the Agency B and explained that I had already been put forward and I would not like them to represent me. However, I was then told by Agency A that the client told them I had been put forward twice by 2 different agencies and therefore interview slot was cancelled.

Transpired that Agency B had put me forward at a much lower rate (which as not agreed or discussed with me) and made Agency A look like they were over pricing me. Needless to say I went ballistic, underhand tactics mad

Anyone else experienced this ?
    Oh yes - which is why a) my CV is PDF'd, so no cretin can change it b) has in big bold letters "You must not sent this to any client without my express permission" on it and c) I will never agree to my CV being sent without knowing who the client is. Ever.

I've seen it all, both as an employer and as someone looking for employment.

Leave a comment:

• Solent
    replied
    Thanks all for the congrats and all that. Good to secure another 6 month gig in this climate.

Numerous calls prior to that about going over to the dark side... Noooooo !!!

However before securing this new gig, got put forward for a role (Agency A), great, right skill set, the client were keen to see me and then approached by another agency (Agency B). I interuppted the Agency B and explained that I had already been put forward and I would not like them to represent me. However, I was then told by Agency A that the client told them I had been put forward twice by 2 different agencies and therefore interview slot was cancelled.

Transpired that Agency B had put me forward at a much lower rate (which as not agreed or discussed with me) and made Agency A look like they were over pricing me. Needless to say I went ballistic, underhand tactics mad

Anyone else experienced this ?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Congratulations!

Leave a comment:

• miffy
    replied
    Well done fella.

I got off the bench over a week ago myself. Still early days and a bit of a nightmare gig. It's a nice feeling getting back in the game.

Time to fire up the old invoicing printer!

Leave a comment:

• Solent
    replied
    Unfortunately no rate increase, but 100% working from home, with a trip into the office, once every two weeks. So I'm thinking rate rise, well I'm saving on travelling, but will miss that social interaction

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Splendid!

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Well done

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by Solent View Post
    Well, after a couple weeks of looking secured another contract today, so back off the bench. A happy man, so I have cracked open my first beer
    Have another

Leave a comment:

• ferret
    replied
    Superb news, well done

Leave a comment:

• Solent
    started a topic Off The Bench

Off The Bench

Well, after a couple weeks of looking secured another contract today, so back off the bench. A happy man, so I have cracked open my first beer

Working...
X