• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How does money travel from one country to another?"

Collapse

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Advocate View Post
    and the toothpick and tweezers won't have fallen out either...
    Then they must not have the Victorinox, but the Wenger, where you can not get the toothpick and tweezers out after you have cut your nails with their superior scissors.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    The Libyans and the Swiss are having a bit of a spat at the moment, since Gadaffi junior got arrested for slapping some hotel staff. The Libyans have threatened to close their Swiss bank accounts. It would seem to me that the Libyans should be more worried about the Swiss freezing their bank accounts.

Back to the original post, $40M at current exchange rates is about 10 Francs, so I imagine they'd just put in an envelope and post it.
    Fat chance - the Libyans are sitting on so much oil (and it's practically on the Swiss doorstep) junior could slap the staff all the way to the bank.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    The Libyans and the Swiss are having a bit of a spat at the moment, since Gadaffi junior got arrested for slapping some hotel staff. The Libyans have threatened to close their Swiss bank accounts. It would seem to me that the Libyans should be more worried about the Swiss freezing their bank accounts.

Back to the original post, $40M at current exchange rates is about 10 Francs, so I imagine they'd just put in an envelope and post it.

Leave a comment:

• Advocate
    replied
    and the toothpick and tweezers won't have fallen out either...

Leave a comment:

• LittlestHobbo
    replied
    and i've bet they've all got at least the 15 bladed version plus a wierd shaped nuclear blade that no one knows what to do with..

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by LittlestHobbo View Post
    I did wonder about switzerland..how come no one ever attacks it? I guess it would be a kind of armageddon scenario..

They just stab any invaders with their small red knives.

Leave a comment:

• LittlestHobbo
    replied
    I did wonder about switzerland..how come no one ever attacks it? I guess it would be a kind of armageddon scenario..

Leave a comment:

• Advocate
    replied
    Originally posted by LittlestHobbo View Post
    how does the physical money change hands though? I guess at some point a credit needs satisfying..is it like an end of month run..

Think there should be an island somewhere that holds all the money and then they could just re-dibby it up as need be, would reduce carbon footprint... might cause the odd war however..
    Don't Switzerland and Lichtenstein have a monopoly on this, althought theyr'e not islands?

Leave a comment:

• LittlestHobbo
    replied
    how does the physical money change hands though? I guess at some point a credit needs satisfying..is it like an end of month run..

Think there should be an island somewhere that holds all the money and then they could just re-dibby it up as need be, would reduce carbon footprint... might cause the odd war however..

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    A bloke with a bag full of used notes wearing a sharp suit and sunglasses gets on a plane from the Cayman Islands.
    Please do not try this yourself! Carrying large amounts of cash is almost a capital crime these days. The limits on what you are supposed to declare are very low: EUR 10,000 into and out of the EU which also applies to the UK. Also ‘cash’ includes banker’s drafts and travellers cheques. If they catch you they will make your future life so bad as they go through it with a fine tooth comb that you’d wish they did shoot you.

I’ve seen it happen to someone who, by his own admission, got a bit lippy to the excise boys when they found a serious wedge in his luggage.

I never carry much more that 1K USD when travelling. Also, I keep as much money out of the UK as possible and live a very simple and low-key life when there.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Cheers, that's what I was wanting to know.

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    one of the few companies on European soil that are exempt from EU data privacy laws. So the Yanks can spy on us to and decide if we are terrorists and block the transfer resulting in the money having being discounted from your account but not received in the receivers account.

Nice little outfit.

I recommend a roll of cash in a condom stuffed up your arse and your arse in a car across the border.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    <foogle>
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society...ecommunication
    </foogle>

Leave a comment:

• Advocate
    replied
    Small amounts of money regularly travels in my pocket between countrys.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Do you care as long as the money arrives?
    No. Next.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X