• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Security breech worry"

Collapse

• TheVoice
    replied
    I'd say that if they were THAT worried, they'd've locked the USB ports down.

If they say anything, offer (for a fee!!) to show them how...

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    ... deploy a group policy disabling USB ports.
    A couple of ClientCos back, they had a super-whizzy way of disabling USB ports.

They were filled with epoxy resin when the machines were delivered new.

Unsubtle, but effective.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    You could try asking them if they will issue you with some sort of transfer media.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    By the letter of the law they could dismiss you.
    HOWEVER that is highly unlikely.
    As others have said, it depends a lot on the nature of the docs copied.
    You may actualy have commited a criminal offence if you took restricted (and other) docs on a USB stick.
    There was nothing marked as classified, it was mostly induction material, h & s contact details etc.

I’ve been asked to go to another site a few months so rather than having the hassle of finding it all again I thought I’d just pop it onto a stick.

Yes I now know its 'Breach'.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Outside of midwifery is there any other use for the word 'breech'?
    This one?

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Breech loading rifle.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    We went from Fort Knockholt to chobham - put in a room blinds closed. After a while looking at photos..
    any Pot Noodles?

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    No follow up from the OP I see.
    Disapeared, without trace.......
    Except his browser...history....
    You ain't seen me.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I used a U3 USB stick with skype for 18 months before the client security people cottoned on to some application "phoning home". They didn't know what U3 was, and so were convinced that somehow my PC had got infected... They upgraded it and (because I stopped using skype), they problem went away.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I remember my time spent modelling the T62 tank in 1986 - suddenly some highly highly classified photos turned up. We went from Fort Knockholt to chobham - put in a room blinds closed. After a while looking at photos and taking notes I turned them over - they were marked at lowest level. I therefore asked why they were not top secret or something. I was told then the Russians would get to know about it - all the really secret stuff is marked as restricted and kept under lock and key.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Security breech worry

I would worry about those security breeches

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    By the letter of the law they could dismiss you.
    HOWEVER that is highly unlikely.
    As others have said, it depends a lot on the nature of the docs copied.
    You may actualy have commited a criminal offence if you took restricted (and other) docs on a USB stick.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    If they're that concerned, and assuming it's a Windoze site as you're running Symantec, you should be able to divert attention to the sysadmin who has failed to deploy a group policy disabling USB ports.

They did that (the USB-disabling-group-policy) without any notice once at a broadcaster I was working at, which left a content manager with a bunch of photos of the band whose interview was being played out on the network show that evening unable to get the pics off his camera. In the end, I got them onto my MacBook (which wasn't allowed on the network, but they'd gracefully provided an ADSL line for my exclusive use), zipped them, then FTPd them to one of my web servers. I then emailed a link to the file on the web site to the content manager (who was sat opposite me), and he downloaded the file, unzipped it, and could then get the photos onto the show's site ready to go live as the show was broadcast.

You may want to try a similar approach in future, although if you're not supposed to use a USB stick, heaven alone knows what the consequences would be for uploading it all to a web server... if they ever realised

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    you ain't seen me, right?

And your real name & address is?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X