• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: The Singularity

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The Singularity"

Collapse

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    You failed.
    I agree.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_singularity

is the Singularity I tried to refer to.
    You failed.

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    Had a quick scan of the article but not seeing mention of "self-awareness". Machines are or soon will be, as complex as the human brain, but unless they become "aware" they will still only be number-crunchers.
    Of course, no-one knows what makes us self-aware or indeed the real nature of knowledge and intelligence or even how our brain works.

So I can summarize this "theory" , in one word: completo-bollox.

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Something that works better, smarter and harder than us, costs very little, and is the answer to all mankinds problems....

It's here already, it's immigrants 'innit?!?
    Yes, but they are leaving when you **** up your economy so much the get paid better at home, so you are stuck with yourselves.

So, no. Not immigrants.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Something that works better, smarter and harder than us, costs very little, and is the answer to all mankinds problems....

It's here already, it's immigrants 'innit?!?

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    No seriously, it could be a big problem, or challenge anyway. It'll certainly be the biggest upheaval in human history.

The basic question that'll confront people whenever it occurs (twenty years, fifty, or a hundred - it will happen sooner or later) is what do you do to differentiate yourself or, bluntly speaking, earn a living when robots and AI are better than humans at practically everything?!

On the plus side, I'm sure it will eventually eliminate any incentive for countries to let their populations mushroom, probably the reverse and populations will decline.
    So you don't think we will use the technology to enhance ourselves in stead of creating "3rd party AI". Then there is no competition between "us" and "them" since there is only "us".

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
    In fact I;m sure some of the posts are already machine generated. Malvolio is one superb AI program.
    It's one of my pet theories / possible sci-fi book plot that an AI will first show itself as a poster on internet forums. It will know everything, but have a lousy sense of humor.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    when robots and AI are better than humans at practically everything?!
    What does being better than a human really mean though? Surely humans are carp at everything except being human? Can't really beat humans on that, except by making a machine more emotional and illogical than a human?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    So I can conclude that this is a new and non-controversial topic to the CUK users.

No problem.
    No seriously, it could be a big problem, or challenge anyway. It'll certainly be the biggest upheaval in human history.

The basic question that'll confront people whenever it occurs (twenty years, fifty, or a hundred - it will happen sooner or later) is what do you do to differentiate yourself or, bluntly speaking, earn a living when robots and AI are better than humans at practically everything?!

On the plus side, I'm sure it will eventually eliminate any incentive for countries to let their populations mushroom, probably the reverse and populations will decline.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    We work in IT, we know how crappy the hardware and software is. Incompetency, vapourware and hype rule. None of us are heading for the hills just yet.
    I reckon it will happen in 2010

< Signed HAL 9000 >

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    So I can conclude that this is a new and non-controversial topic to the CUK users.
    No problem.
    See you on the other side - if you will be there :-)
    We work in IT, we know how crappy the hardware and software is. Incompetency, vapourware and hype rule. None of us are heading for the hills just yet.

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied

No problem.

See you on the other side - if you will be there :-)

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    "if machines could even slightly surpass human intellect" - depends which humans. If measured relative to intellect of posts in general I reckon machines have already outpassed.
    My battery operated coffee whisk has

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Vernor Vinge, the man who came up with the name, has a fantastic name to use in dirty limericks.
    Cringe, minge, hinge, binge, fringe, ginge, singe, tinge, winge

lots of potential there.

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    "if machines could even slightly surpass human intellect" - depends which humans. If measured relative to intellect of posts in general I reckon machines have already outpassed.
    In fact I;m sure some of the posts are already machine generated. Malvolio is one superb AI program.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X