• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Singularity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
    So I can conclude that this is a new and non-controversial topic to the CUK users.

No problem.
    No seriously, it could be a big problem, or challenge anyway. It'll certainly be the biggest upheaval in human history.

The basic question that'll confront people whenever it occurs (twenty years, fifty, or a hundred - it will happen sooner or later) is what do you do to differentiate yourself or, bluntly speaking, earn a living when robots and AI are better than humans at practically everything?!

On the plus side, I'm sure it will eventually eliminate any incentive for countries to let their populations mushroom, probably the reverse and populations will decline.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      when robots and AI are better than humans at practically everything?!
      What does being better than a human really mean though? Surely humans are carp at everything except being human? Can't really beat humans on that, except by making a machine more emotional and illogical than a human?

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
        In fact I;m sure some of the posts are already machine generated. Malvolio is one superb AI program.
        It's one of my pet theories / possible sci-fi book plot that an AI will first show itself as a poster on internet forums. It will know everything, but have a lousy sense of humor.
        Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          No seriously, it could be a big problem, or challenge anyway. It'll certainly be the biggest upheaval in human history.

The basic question that'll confront people whenever it occurs (twenty years, fifty, or a hundred - it will happen sooner or later) is what do you do to differentiate yourself or, bluntly speaking, earn a living when robots and AI are better than humans at practically everything?!

On the plus side, I'm sure it will eventually eliminate any incentive for countries to let their populations mushroom, probably the reverse and populations will decline.
          So you don't think we will use the technology to enhance ourselves in stead of creating "3rd party AI". Then there is no competition between "us" and "them" since there is only "us".
          "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Something that works better, smarter and harder than us, costs very little, and is the answer to all mankinds problems....

It's here already, it's immigrants 'innit?!?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Something that works better, smarter and harder than us, costs very little, and is the answer to all mankinds problems....

It's here already, it's immigrants 'innit?!?
              Yes, but they are leaving when you **** up your economy so much the get paid better at home, so you are stuck with yourselves.

So, no. Not immigrants.

Comment

Had a quick scan of the article but not seeing mention of "self-awareness". Machines are or soon will be, as complex as the human brain, but unless they become "aware" they will still only be number-crunchers.
                Of course, no-one knows what makes us self-aware or indeed the real nature of knowledge and intelligence or even how our brain works.

So I can summarize this "theory" , in one word: completo-bollox.
                Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_singularity

is the Singularity I tried to refer to.
                  You failed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                    You failed.
                    I agree.

Comment