• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Golf

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Golf"

Collapse

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    What's with the line breaks and capitalisation? Is this supposed to be free verse?
    If it's free I'll have some

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    I've been playing on and off for a few years, I'm not very good, you need to play a lot to get good or have some natural talent. It's very
    Enjoyable when you start to get the hang of it/ see improvement. But then
    Just when you think you have it sussed it all falls apart again.
    Unlike most sports...
    What's with the line breaks and capitalisation? Is this supposed to be free verse?

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    Any golfers? I'm thinking about taking it up. Pro's and Con's please.

It's a great game but you may find that it is easy to get hooked, and it can take over your life. I blame it for helping to destroy a few relationships in my distant past.

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    slicing the ball in the rough.
    Was it just me that sniggered over that?

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    There's nothing worse than golf on a cold wet rainy day, when you're constantly slicing the ball in the rough.

This is however the norm..

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by tay View Post
    I am a semi pro golfer.

Dress and have clubs like a pro... play like an amateur.

Good enough to beat dodgy agent though.
    I only let you win because you had just arrived off your boat, lull you into a false sense oof security, place you on a contract and then screw you on the margin. The plan didnt quite work out and I am left with a "loss" against my name to a kiwi

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    & Crazy Golf too

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    No beginner is going to be allowed anywhere near a top course. There are plenty of good public or pay and play courses though

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    .. The list is endless, ..
    and so's the waiting list in many clubs. For example, I heard the Royal Wimbledon Golf club has a waiting list of 20+ years!

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    Remember, trees are 80% air.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave.Mac View Post
    Any golfers? I'm thinking about taking it up. Pro's and Con's please.

I've been playing on and off for a few years, I'm not very good, you need to play a lot to get good or have some natural talent. It's very
    Enjoyable when you start to get the hang of it/ see improvement. But then
    Just when you think you have it sussed it all falls apart again.
    Unlike most sports the have a ball it doesn't depend on hand eye coordination,a blind person could be taught to hit the ball well. Therefore you could be sheet at most sports but good at golf. Golf is technique, if you get that right you should always hit the ball well.

Brilliant game, and these days you don't have to dress like Des o'Connor or join a snooty club. There are loads of good pay and play courses all over the country and you can get basic equipment for around £100. There is no point buying good stuff when you can't play.

If you fancy a go, take a few lessons with a golf pro (around £30 for half an hour), learn how to hit with an iron and have a game on a 9 hole.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Revealing. So in summary you think you have sporting ability and think you know about golf.
    Pretty close actually

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave.Mac View Post
    Cheers for the sensible replies. Cheers for the sarcastic comments.
    You're welcome DM

Leave a comment:

• Advocate
    replied
    If I wanted to put a small ball in a small hole a long way away with completely inappropriate tools....I'd pick more interesting inappropriate tools than what is essentially a stick with a knob at each end...

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    Revealing. So in summary you have no sporting capability at all or any clue about golf and are scared that your missus will shack up with the postman if you spend sunday with your 'mates'.
    Revealing. So in summary you think you have sporting ability and think you know about golf. You and your missus don't have much in common these days.

P.S. I don't have a missus. She shacked up with the postman while I was playing golf

Leave a comment:

Working...
X