• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Now Legal to kill & Maim Burglars"

Collapse

• blacjac
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Fair enough, let's see one.
    Doesn't look too menacing here

http://www.sterlingtimes.co.uk/tony_martin.jpg

or here

http://www.kirkbytimes.co.uk/images/...tonymartin.jpg

or here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/130000...tin300_bbc.jpg

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    Police?
    Bailiffs?
    They wouldn't even make it to the front door

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    Agreed, as far as I'm concerned, if someone enters my house forcibly and uninvited, they leave their "rights" on the door step outside.
    Police?
    Bailiffs?

Ignore me, I'm just being argumentative

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Originally posted by Weltchy
    Sorry, but if I knew someone was going to break into my house and potentially threaten or harm anyone who lived there, the thought would cross my mind to not only set a trap for them, I think I'd most likely consider teaching them a lesson, for instance by smashing their fingers and toes with a hammer.

Sorry if this seems a bit violent, but I feel some of the arab states have it right when it comes to criminal punishment.
    Agreed, as far as I'm concerned, if someone enters my house forcibly and uninvited, they leave their "rights" on the door step outside.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    No it was me that got shot and killed. My own fault really.
    Bummer

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    No it was me that got shot and killed. My own fault really.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    This is nothing new, it is NL playing to the popular vote again. You have always been able to defend yourself and harm attackers, even kill them if in fear for your life. The only thing they have done is to remove the need to stand up in court and explain why you were in fear of your life. This means that muggers and other criminals will now just kill you and when the police arrest them they will say they were defending themselves against you.

Tony Martin is as much a murderer as any other. He set a trap. He secured all but one window in his property and sat in wait for a burglar to find it. He could have secured his entire property. He could have set the trap to cage the burglar. He set out to kill.
    Had he not set the trap I would support him.

Well done Mr Tony Martin !!! Let's see more burglars, muggers and rapists etc get what they deserve.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
    My reply was a TV comedy quote, in case you didn't know.

As for the eyeliner - anyone that (1) notices and (2) is offended needs a slap, told to mind their own business and then be told to fork off.

I dont care if I am told to fork off. unless it is seriously.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Tend to agree with chicane.

Not defending shooting somebody in the back who tries to burgle your home but (as I recall cos can't be bothered to look it up) it wasn't like that, they had repeatedly made his life a misery over a long period and he had got no help from the authorities. They were not just slightly out of control kids either but criminal scumbags. Easy enough to make judgement afterwards but you have to try to put yourself in his situation and see what stress the man was under.

In a civilised society there is an unwritten contract, we agree not to take action ourselves in return for the proper authorities providing us with protection. If they repeatedly fail to do so, whatever the legalities, we have a right to consider that contract null and void.

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    You assume so much. I didnt get my degree till I was in my 30s.
    Forgive my assumptions - FWIW you have my respect for taking the initiative to work your way out of a crime-hidden hellhole. However...

Martin could have sold his inherited pile.
    Why should he have to move away from his home if some white trash repeatedly and systematically made his life a misery? If everybody in history gave into the criminals so easily, society would be very different nowadays.

There are far more solutions than setting a trap.
    You and I both know that the only realistic solutions were to move away, or kill the people making his life a misery. However evil people percieve Tony Martin to be, shooting those guys is not a decision he would have taken without considering a variety of alternative options first.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    No sympathy with those killed during any premeditated crime. Slight problem is the possibility of accident, shooting some drunk that goes round the back of the wrong house maybe. Did it myself once while staying with someone.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by chicane View Post
    Social mobility comes with considerably less effort when you're 17 than when you're 50.

I reiterate that nobody has come up with a viable alternative to shooting the scrotes in his specific scenario, regardless of how incomprehensible such an action is to the majority of folk here.
    You assume so much. I didnt get my degree till I was in my 30s.
    Martin could have sold his inherited pile. There are far more solutions than setting a trap. As I have said half a dozen times, I am not against defending what is yours, I am against how he did it.

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    My solution was to get a degree and move.
    Social mobility comes with considerably less effort when you're 17 than when you're 50.

I reiterate that nobody has come up with a viable alternative to shooting the scrotes in his specific scenario, regardless of how incomprehensible such an action is to the majority of folk here.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by Xenophon View Post

As for the eyeliner - anyone that (1) notices and (2) is offended needs a slap, told to mind their own business and then be told to fork off.

I know it is from the Cathrine Tate show, I think she is crap.

Isnt the character who says it a poof in denial? ,-)

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    It was a flippant remark and the blight you may cause is hardly likely to be in the burglar side of things (I hope) but someone may find your eyeliner offensive.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X