• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "This is Germany calling"

Collapse

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Yup me thinks the same too, we need to find out the latest on paying Sozialversicherung, that's the killer. I might go and see my local Accountant to found out the best way to avoid it. One way is to employ someone, on a minimum salary.

Leave a comment:

• Olly
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    What is your pay set up? I hope you are using a management company offshore. PM me if you dont want a public discussion.
    Nothing special at the moment, just normal UK Ltd contracted to the agency...going to stay less than 183 days so it's fine other than a small question mark over where control of my Ltd is exerted from although plan to fix that by making my mum director.

I do want to stay in Germany though and admit I have no idea of the best way to do this tax wise.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    A friend of mine has a favourite story which he says is made up from hearing people say stupid stuff so.....

We went to Germany on holiday I think the place was called Leerfahrt as that is what it said on all the buses, but nobody seems to use them. We stayed in the hotel Zimmer Frei which was in Einbahnstrasse. The beer was lovely I think it was called Noch Ein beer.
    That Ausfahrt must be some size of town, the last 10 exits have all been for it.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    A friend of mine has a favourite story which he says is made up from hearing people say stupid stuff so.....

We went to Germany on holiday I think the place was called Leerfahrt as that is what it said on all the buses, but nobody seems to use them. We stayed in the hotel Zimmer Frei which was in Einbahnstrasse. The beer was lovely I think it was called Noch Ein beer.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123 View Post
    How did you manage to get the first one?

tim
    In Dusseldorf there's usually a bloke walking around the pub with a number of beers and as soon as you sit down, one is plonked in front of you, no questions asked. In fact you don't even need to ask for the next one as they keep an eye on you and as soon as you have finished the first, the second one is already there. Caused some problems when I gave a training course there. I'd booked the hotel and lunch was served in a brewery across the road. Naturally the beer was plonked down and everyone was so shocked they drank it. When the second came, I was the only person to accept which was embarrasing although even more embarrasing were the requests from the attendees, such as diet coke and Sprite. The waiter gave them a filthy look and then when the obligatory Schnapps was offered after lunch only a couple of us took him up.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    The only German you need is:Noch ein gross Bier, bitte.

I got by on that for 20 years.

How did you manage to get the first one?

tim

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Olly View Post
    ...Wish I could speak a bit of German though ...
    The only German you need is:Noch ein gross Bier, bitte.

I got by on that for 20 years.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Not quite, an applications programmer or tester will more than likely be Selbständig and will have to pay Gewerbesteuer whereas a systems programmer is considered to be like an engineer and so doesn't.
    Yes that is true, though shouldn't be a problem provided you have a degree, or possibly some confirmation from your client, so is normally avoidable. The common mistake is that some German contractors actually register themselves as a "Gewerbe" which is then difficult to refute.

But.. the English mistake is to work for an agency that actually employs you, and so you pay social insurance, which is astronomical. Now it is true that companies such as Siemens may demand this, but firstly the contract between the agency and the contractor is none of their business and secondly if the purchasing dept is playing hardball German companies may just employ you on a 400 EUR basis i.e. no Social Insurance or very little just to say you're an employee. Again this avoidable.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    When you say tax regime harsh, make sure you're not an employee, you really need to be Freiberufler, I've noticed Brits often end up as "employees". All German contractors without exception are Freiberufler, though some sometimes run a GmbH.
    Not quite, an applications programmer or tester will more than likely be Selbständig and will have to pay Gewerbesteuer whereas a systems programmer is considered to be like an engineer and so doesn't.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Just don't mention ze war.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Munich to be precise...it's smashing here but hasn't stopped raining the last two weeks!
    Wish I could speak a bit of German though and that the tax system here wasn't so harsh!

Munich.....that isn't German, its Bavarian.

Love the beer down there though nothing like a huge cold Bavarian beer.

Get down to the lakes when the weather warms up.

When you say tax regime harsh, make sure you're not an employee, you really need to be Freiberufler, I've noticed Brits often end up as "employees". All German contractors without exception are Freiberufler, though some sometimes run a GmbH.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 17 July 2008, 09:13.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    are you by any chance at a datacenter in a town beginning with B ?

Milan.
    I am...

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Munich to be precise...it's smashing here but hasn't stopped raining the last two weeks!
    Wish I could speak a bit of German though and that the tax system here wasn't so harsh!
    I will be in Ottobrunn this weekend visiting old friends.
    What is your pay set up? I hope you are using a management company offshore. PM me if you dont want a public discussion.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Vell done. Hav die pfun im Kalinka Club.

Leave a comment:

• Olly
    replied
    I'm there tooish

Leave a comment:

Working...
X