• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Newspapers

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Newspapers"

Collapse

• Diver
    replied
    With today's global economy and the International lifestyle that many of us lead, I find that a newspaper that encompasses the globe is required reading

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    I no longer see the need for papers or even news related websites.

Everything I need to know in order to make informed decisions about my life is posted here. Usually with the important bits highlighted so that I don't have to read the whole thing.

I especially like it when someone adds an opinion for me to take in italics. It's most helpful as it saves me the bother of thinking about what I've just skimmed.

Keep up the good work.

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    whs (+andyw)

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by bobsmithldn View Post
    Have you stopped reading the newspapers, especially the tabloids like The Times and the Telegraph, Daily Mail is the worst culprit due to the daily Doom and Gloom articles ... Britain is being talked into a BAD recession ...
    1. The Telegraph isn't a tabloid.
    2. Although I would never pay money for the Mail, I can't believe it's more doom-laden than the Telegraph which is awfully depressing at present.
    3. Papers never report any good news.
    4. The poll option I need is "I only read papers I get free in the hotel or find on a train"

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    whs -1

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    Bob, you've posted 4 or 5 polls in the last couple of days, none of which has had an Andyw option. Because of this, I refuse to vote in them.

Please resolve this situation with your next poll.
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    WHS
    +1

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    Bob, you've posted 4 or 5 polls in the last couple of days, none of which has had an Andyw option. Because of this, I refuse to vote in them.

WHS

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied

Leave a comment:

• bobsmithldn
    replied
    Off to Majestic to buy some beer ... ciao ...

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Prawny, I know you lurv Doom, however don't it make you sick after a while?
    Audience, am I right or what? C'mon!
    Well the US Armageddon Survivalists start to actually want the doomsday to come round, just so they can see all the nasty people who laughed at them stockpiling cans of beans, all starving to death. There's nothign as satisfying as being RIGHT!

Meanwhile, back on the board, it's best not to take what people say here too seriously. If Doom is really around the corner for the UK economy, having a few quid in the bank and a few BTL houses is not going to save anyone.

Leave a comment:

• bobsmithldn
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    I read the already hand picked doom articles each day on Motley Fool and housepricecrash. Main reason is I look after my own investment pot and want to try and time investing it. If I do it well I'll be sitting pretty, if I balls it up I'll be doing this tulip a while longer. I suspect the Dim one has a similar motivation. Oh and there's being bored tulipless doing this tulip and looking for some entertainment
    housepricecrash. what

nice!

:-)

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    I read the already hand picked doom articles each day on Motley Fool and housepricecrash. Main reason is I look after my own investment pot and want to try and time investing it. If I do it well I'll be sitting pretty, if I balls it up I'll be doing this tulip a while longer. I suspect the Dim one has a similar motivation. Oh and there's being bored tulipless doing this tulip and looking for some entertainment

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied

I have two theories about you:

1. You aren't as solvent and sorted as you make out to be and you're pretending to revell in other people's misfortune.

2. You're sorted and haven't got anything better to do with your life than letch at unfortunate people. A dose of modesty might serve you well.

Most of us are also comfortable, however we don't brag about it continually!

3. You drop a hook into the water and see who bites.

I think 3 is about right. bobsmith, you're taking it all too seriously...

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied

I have two theories about you:

1. You aren't as solvent and sorted as you make out to be and you're pretending to revell in other people's misfortune.

2. You're sorted and haven't got anything better to do with your life than letch at unfortunate people. A dose of modesty might serve you well.

Most of us are also comfortable, however we don't brag about it continually!

Yes I too suspect (1) is true.

Leave a comment:

• bobsmithldn
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Stopped reading newspapers? Yes. Stopped paying attention to the news? No. Just dont tend to get it from the mainstream newspapers, especially the tabloids. The Guardian is about the only one I'd trust with a story and thats with a big pinch of salt.
    I listen to the World Service radio for my news ...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X