• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Co-Workers... what to do?"

Collapse

• BoiledSpastit
    replied
    Originally posted by HeliCraig View Post
    I am currently torn between staying professional and seeing what happens, and just going back up there and telling him exactly what I (and most other people as far as I can tell) think of his code!!

Opting with the staying professional element at the moment, to avoid a bench period.
    Berate him, his family, his foibles, his dog anything - but IF you cast aspersions on the worthiness of his code - you are asking for a full scale WAR - be warned.

Leave a comment:

• Charles Foster Kane
    replied
    Ok, sensible suggestions only please.

I have just been subjected to a barage of abuse from another contractor in the office, for no apparent reason, other than I appear to have been getting on his nerves for a couple of weeks (apparently, first I knew!).

He is trying to concentrate this morning, because the project he is working on is not going well, and he is under pressure. I have had a conversation across the office on 2 occasions and other than that I have been listening to some CDs I downloaded last night.

I have now moved out of the office into another one, because I feel so belittled by what he has just done. I emailed him, explained that I felt it was unfair, unprovoked, and unprofessional. He basically told me to go forth and multiply.

I have emailed ClientCo manager and agency (who he is also with) to raise a grievance; but really don't want to work somewhere where that is tolerated.

Anyone any thoughts?
    Ah, I get it... Very subtle post reference. Very good.

Co worker is a lazy twat....
    http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...lazy-twat.html

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    I can't see that doing that with someone who's seriously pissed off with you, is a great idea!
    Hehe - true, wg.

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
    Sounds like the start of a beautiful relationship to be honest. Good luck mate for the future. It is going to be interesting how it works out for you guys.

I can't see that doing that with someone who's seriously pissed off with you, is a great idea!

Leave a comment:

• HeliCraig
    replied
    Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
    Sounds like the start of a beautiful relationship to be honest. Good luck mate for the future. It is going to be interesting how it works out for you guys.

Could be, but I took my Tetley's away when I was in a huff earlier!!!

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    I have just had an apology email from the chap concerned admitting that he was out of order.

I replied explaining I am not perfect either

Leave a comment:

• HeliCraig
    replied
    Originally posted by Charles Foster Kane View Post
    Here’s what you should have done: When he started his rant, you should have responded with 'my garden wall's not 4 feet high', then whilst he was confused, said ‘in Spain it was massive (gesture the height)’, in this state of confusion he would have been open to hypnosis and suggestibility and you could have made him dance about like a chicken to everyone's amusement.

HTH.

WHS

Leave a comment:

• Charles Foster Kane
    replied
    Ok, sensible suggestions only please.

I have just been subjected to a barage of abuse from another contractor in the office, for no apparent reason, other than I appear to have been getting on his nerves for a couple of weeks (apparently, first I knew!).

He is trying to concentrate this morning, because the project he is working on is not going well, and he is under pressure. I have had a conversation across the office on 2 occasions and other than that I have been listening to some CDs I downloaded last night.

I have now moved out of the office into another one, because I feel so belittled by what he has just done. I emailed him, explained that I felt it was unfair, unprovoked, and unprofessional. He basically told me to go forth and multiply.

I have emailed ClientCo manager and agency (who he is also with) to raise a grievance; but really don't want to work somewhere where that is tolerated.

Anyone any thoughts?
    Here’s what you should have done: When he started his rant, you should have responded with 'my garden wall's not 4 feet high', then whilst he was confused, said ‘in Spain it was massive (gesture the height)’, in this state of confusion he would have been open to hypnosis and suggestibility and you could have made him dance about like a chicken to everyone's amusement.

HTH.

Leave a comment:

• HeliCraig
    replied
    Originally posted by Ivor Bigun View Post
    Meridian, thats not the case for the OP's situation.
    The OP involved one manager with the grievance and now he is reporting it upwards . Do you think they want to know?

Also, lets say you're a project manager, would you put these 2 people together again?

If the OP is a contractor, he has to learn not to rock the boat by making enemies.
    Ivor, wasn't reporting upwards. Just our immediate managers (we have two really). We are both contractors, and have worked together fine in the past. His work is more project based and mine is more "ongoing."

We are in a slightly odd position of both having longer term (yearly) contracts which are normally renewed - the vast majority of the department is the same. Which leads us to behave in a lot of regards like permies...

This is a mistake I shan't repeat - I will sort it out myself next time I think, although it has ended up well. I am all to aware of "blotting my copy book" though.

That said: I have just had an apology email from the chap concerned admitting that he was out of order.

I replied explaining I am not perfect either, and understand that he has a lot of work on at the moment. Offered to help in any way I can - including being quieter!

Thanks to all for you advice, abuse and all else. Special thanks for the parody thread - that is genius!!

Leave a comment:

• Ivor Bigun
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Most decent managers would see the conflict for what it is, and appreciate that it had been brought to their attention so they could mediate and deal with the issue. If they are both do quality work and are required team members, then it doesn't matter whether they are contractors or permies - what matters to the manager is team harmony and getting the project completed.

As a manager I'd rather be aware of the situation and spend some time chatting to each party to resolve their differences so they can kiss and make up rather than spend a few days interviewing and recruiting a different team member.
    Meridian, thats not the case for the OP's situation.
    The OP involved one manager with the grievance and now he is reporting it upwards . Do you think they want to know?

Also, lets say you're a project manager, would you put these 2 people together again?

If the OP is a contractor, he has to learn not to rock the boat by making enemies.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by Ivor Bigun View Post
    "He who wields the knife, never wears the crown".
    Reporting "gross misconduct" is only useful to you if it materially benefits your employer.
    Just reporting "People Issues" marks you down as someone who has difficulties with his peers - especially if it happens for a second time.
    It doesn't matter how justified you feel you are - it is the type of complaint.

It will be interesting to see how many people support you publically; I'm sure it will be less than those you have done privately.
    Longterm, the reflection on you WILL be negative. Not only that, you will have posioned your working relationship with the other guy - your managers will know that.
    Thats why I say, be prepared to be "let go" next time.
    The only way is to make up with him (at least in front of people).
    Most decent managers would see the conflict for what it is, and appreciate that it had been brought to their attention so they could mediate and deal with the issue. If they are both do quality work and are required team members, then it doesn't matter whether they are contractors or permies - what matters to the manager is team harmony and getting the project completed.

As a manager I'd rather be aware of the situation and spend some time chatting to each party to resolve their differences so they can kiss and make up rather than spend a few days interviewing and recruiting a different team member.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    I'm not sure whether this guy who had a go at you is:

1. One of those stressed-out types. Best response: Take the piss, ruthlessly.

or

2. One of those Grande Fromage contractors that think they run the place

Best response: Act as if you're completely oblivious to their posturing - if they try to put you down in front of others then wait till they've finished, leave a slight pause, perhaps roll eyes, then carry on as you were, ignoring anything they said.

The second type usually get the message very quickly and become friendly. In fact, two of the best people I've ever worked with were like this when I first met them. They just don't suffer fools gladly, so all you have to do is show that you aren't a fool and they'll be fine.

I think you've got the first type though, by the sound of it. Unfortunately, you may have missed the opportunity to destroy them with your wit.

Leave a comment:

• Ivor Bigun
    replied
    Just out of interest - how is this physically possible? Would I need to have my back removed so I could stand behind it to be stabbed?

Sorry for being a pedant!!
    "He who wields the knife, never wears the crown".
    Reporting "gross misconduct" is only useful to you if it materially benefits your employer.
    Just reporting "People Issues" marks you down as someone who has difficulties with his peers - especially if it happens for a second time.
    It doesn't matter how justified you feel you are - it is the type of complaint.

It will be interesting to see how many people support you publicly; I'm sure it will be less than those who have done privately.
    Longterm, the reflection on you WILL be negative. Not only that, you will have poisoned your working relationship with the other guy - your managers will know that.
    Thats why I say, be prepared to be "let go" next time (hopefully not)
    The only way is to resolve the difficulty amicably (at least in front of people) with the minimum of fuss.
    Last edited by Ivor Bigun; 27 June 2008, 11:00. Reason: Typos

Leave a comment:

• unemployed
    replied
    Just contact these guys http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...RC/DG_10010579

Always works for me.

Leave a comment:

• Dow Jones
    replied
    Worse things have happened

Not the end of the world, is it? Nobody has died or anything. Just brush it off and learn from it. What I and others have said - and applies to all situations, not just yours - is if you are 100% professional in what you do:
    a. such things may not happen
    b. if they do, you will always come out on top, even if you don't say a word (best not to IMO) - he who laughs last...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X