• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Most important parts of .Net"

Collapse

• HeliCraig
    replied
    Originally posted by BoiledSpastit View Post
    .NET don't bother!
    Learn how to create a login on SQL Server, call yourself a DBA so you can sit on your fat ar*e all day, blocking others requests to do anything useful, and getting a better rate.
    Cynical - DBA's driving me mad today.
    WHS.

Just been accused of having a second "alias" on CUK, by a co-worker who knows these to be my sentiments.....

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Tay hasn't explained his simpler solution. It seems to involve a person watching to see which direction that sensor flies off in. So hire a person to do that, pay them minimum wage and that's still £11K per year, whereas the two sensor solution probably costs a couple of quid and will work indefinitely.

If it was me I think I'd hire the person that offered the automated and low cost option.
    The problem definition suggested nothing more than making a one-off determination of the direction of rotation, not continuous monitoring. Why over-engineer the solution? YAGNI.

If the need is, in fact, for continuous monitoring then the fact of suggesting a method of making a one-off determination will reveal that the problem definition is flawed in at least one respect, and may therefore be flawed in other respects. Therefore the problem definition needs to be fully reviewed to determine whether it does, in fact, properly define the actual goal of the project.

Leave a comment:

• BoiledSpastit
    replied
    .NET don't bother!
    Learn how to create a login on SQL Server, call yourself a DBA so you can sit on your fat ar*e all day, blocking others requests to do anything useful, and getting a better rate.
    Cynical - DBA's driving me mad today.

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    If it was me I think I'd hire the person that offered the automated and low cost option.
    I think people are taking this a tad too seriously. In a real world situation, I think most of us would ask for clarification on the description of the problem - that's part of the requirements capture process. if no further clarification was possible or given (say it was a written test) you'd just start by stating your assumptions. As long as the assumptions were reasonable, nobody would penalise you. If you wanted to make it bullet-proof, you could outline alternative solutions if some of the assumptions we different.

Eitehr way, my first question would have been.. and how exactly is this to do with the DB/Website.client app yuo want me to write? It's a sure fire permie question, not something contractors would get asked, unless it was for a PM or BA position.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    It makes more sense to hire somebody who can explain that your problem description is, itself, flawed and that a simpler solution is easily achievable, rather than somebody who simply does what they're told and doesn't bother trying to look beyond the narrow constraints that may be overcomplicating the problem.

The former is a contractor; the latter is a permy.
    Tay hasn't explained his simpler solution. It seems to involve a person watching to see which direction that sensor flies off in. So hire a person to do that, pay them minimum wage and that's still £11K per year, whereas the two sensor solution probably costs a couple of quid and will work indefinitely.

Leave a comment:

• Marina
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    It makes more sense to hire somebody who can explain that your problem description is, itself, flawed and that a simpler solution is easily achievable, rather than somebody who simply does what they're told and doesn't bother trying to look beyond the narrow constraints that may be overcomplicating the problem.

So you're saying Tay is hired, but the agent phones me and says "sorry, they liked you but were looking for someone with more experience".

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Marina View Post
    Exactly! The question implies the sensor is used as it's name suggests, otherwise what's the point of mentioning it. You may as well bung a piece of chewing gum on the record!

And if it's part of the setup but stuck on the record, you'd need at least one other sensor to monitor it, or some pattern off the record for it to scan, which isn't part of the problem description.

Tay, lateral thinking is no use if it's completely irrelevant and off the wall.

Leave a comment:

• HeliCraig
    replied
    Originally posted by tay View Post
    Well I will bear that in mind next time I am hiring people to analyse spinning black and white disks....
    If that comes around again soon (), then bear me in mind - anything has to be better than the drivel they have be doing here today!!

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    Phew, thank God for that. I wouldn't want to work for you anyway

P.S. Or with you, come to that. I'd always be clearing up your messes
    Well I will bear that in mind next time I am hiring people to analyse spinning black and white disks....

Leave a comment:

• Marina
    replied
    If it spind fast enough it might trick your eyes. And you didnt use the sensor as told to! YOU ARE FIRED.. OR NOT HIRED... you know what I mean.
    Phew, thank God for that. I wouldn't want to work for you anyway

P.S. Or with you, come to that. I'd always be clearing up your messes

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    If you can use your eyes to see which way the sensor flies off, use your eyes to see which way the record is turning. My answer saves the cost and time of developing the sensor; your answer would have effort spent on something pointless. Who gets the job?
    If it spind fast enough it might trick your eyes. And you didnt use the sensor as told to! YOU ARE FIRED.. OR NOT HIRED... you know what I mean.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Irrelevant? I found out definately which way it is spinning.. and you dont.... and you say my answer is irrelevant...

And I used a light sensor thingee....
    If you can use your eyes to see which way the sensor flies off, use your eyes to see which way the record is turning. My answer saves the cost and time of developing the sensor; your answer would have effort spent on something pointless. Who gets the job?

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied

Irrelevant? I found out definately which way it is spinning.. and you dont.... and you say my answer is irrelevant...

And I used a light sensor thingee....

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    Yes, but assuming you can only use the sensor
    So now you are making assumptions?

Where as I just walk in and find out the answer.. walk out and invoice... and then get renewed.

You really dont get the point of these questions do you.....

Leave a comment:

• Marina
    replied
    Yes, but assuming you can only use the sensor, how does the colour sensor know where it went?
    Exactly! The question implies the sensor is used as it's name suggests, otherwise what's the point of mentioning it. You may as well bung a piece of chewing gum on the record!

And if it's part of the setup but stuck on the record, you'd need at least one other sensor to monitor it, or some pattern off the record for it to scan, which isn't part of the problem description.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X