• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Global Cooling

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Global Cooling"

Collapse

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Check out the size of this greenhouse:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...-unveiled.html

Ith Thanet Earth. Now thaht's thwhat thI'm thawlking thabout.
    Been in a news a lot, apparently the uses waste gas to power 22,000 homes or something too. I guess we'll see a lot more of this across the UK in years to come as trnasport costs for food from abroad soar.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Check out the size of this greenhouse:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...-unveiled.html

Ith Thanet Earth. Now thaht's thwhat thI'm thawlking thabout.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...hange.biofuels

Britain and Europe will be forced to fundamentally rethink a central part of their environment strategy after a government report found that the rush to develop biofuels has played a "significant" role in the dramatic rise in global food prices, which has left 100 million more people without enough to eat.

So, on one hand we have "global warming", even though the global temperature has not risen in the last 10 years, and on the other hand we have now pushed 100 million to starvation solving a problem that does not exist.

Nice work tree huggers.
    Its called the law of unintended consequences

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Here's what "global warming" really does

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...hange.biofuels

Britain and Europe will be forced to fundamentally rethink a central part of their environment strategy after a government report found that the rush to develop biofuels has played a "significant" role in the dramatic rise in global food prices, which has left 100 million more people without enough to eat.

So, on one hand we have "global warming", even though the global temperature has not risen in the last 10 years, and on the other hand we have now pushed 100 million to starvation solving a problem that does not exist.

Nice work tree huggers.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucy View Post
    Errrm, it's called cost of purchase and taxation.

HTH
    That's right, yes. I don't think some people have got their heads round the concept though. Rich people pay more taxes. If you're rich enough to run a car then pay up and stop whining.

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    I don't even particularly hate cars, just those people that whine all the time when they get charged a bit extra for the luxury of using them.
    Anyway, please don't let me interrupt the important debate about science and climate change. I know you're getting really close to a conclusion which will be convincing and indisputable. Which will be nice.

Errrm, it's called cost of purchase and taxation.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I don't even particularly hate cars, just those people that whine all the time when they get charged a bit extra for the luxury of using them.

Anyway, please don't let me interrupt the important debate about science and climate change. I know you're getting really close to a conclusion which will be convincing and indisputable. Which will be nice.
    Look if you want to ride a bicycle along with 90% of the population, fook off to China and become a commie.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    I see the resident car hater has hijacked the thread.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Worth repeating:
    Originally posted by ace00 View Post
    Kids these days with your wacky "education".
    You need to read up on cause, effect, scientific method and perhaps most of all "How tax works and were does it all go? For dummies"

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I see the resident car hater has hijacked the thread.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Stop trying to hijack this thread. We were discussing global cooling and the science behind it.
    You started it mate! Previous post which I was responding to:

Using climate issues as an excuse to tax is doing nothing to move us forward, particularly when that tax is not used for climate issues.
    I'm just saying that, even if no one had ever heard of climate issues, these taxes would be more than justified.

Car drivers already pay a disproportionate amount! I think 50 odd billion taken in tax and duty against 12 spent on roads. I would suggest drivers are paying more than enough for the damage they do.
    That's like complaining that fines for graffiti don't pay for new pots of spray paint for the vandals. The money you pay for driving your car everywhere and generally making the place unpleasant isn't intended to make it more pleasant for you to drive even more. Duh.

Anyway, as any fule no, the roads are maintained from Council Taxes, which are also paid by people that don't even drive cars, so you're being heavily subsidised in fact. The Vehicle Excise Duty is just a little extra payment into the national pot to minisculely compensate for the noise, smell, congestion and obesity that cars cause.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    It's plenty to do with damage to the environment though, isn't it? Tides of plastic swirling round the oceans and that sort of thing. Whatever, CO2 is just one part of the pollution we cause every day. This has been discussed loads of times on here already, but congestion, noise, litter, road damage, road building in the first place, smell, dirt... it all comes from cars and people, not from nature. Why shouldn't the people that do that damage bloody well pay for it?
    Car drivers already pay a disproportionate amount! I think 50 odd billion taken in tax and duty against 12 spent on roads. I would suggest drivers are paying more than enough for the damage they do.

Stop trying to hijack this thread. We were discussing global cooling and the science behind it.

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    It's plenty to do with damage to the environment though, isn't it? Tides of plastic swirling round the oceans and that sort of thing. Whatever, CO2 is just one part of the pollution we cause every day. This has been discussed loads of times on here already, but congestion, noise, litter, road damage, road building in the first place, smell, dirt... it all comes from cars and people, not from nature. Why shouldn't the people that do that damage bloody well pay for it?
    Kids these days with your wacky "education".
    You need to read up on cause, effect, scientific method and perhaps most of all "How tax works and were does it all go? For dummies"

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    tax on farting.

I'd vote for that. Mind you it would cost me a fair bit.

Especially when you speak.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    tax on farting.

I'd vote for that. Mind you it would cost me a fair bit.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X