• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Pensions.... that's me well tucked up then..."

Collapse

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    The only safe pension is for the public sector parasites.
    At the moment. But how does it pan out for the economy when they start retiring? Surely some kind of correction is inevitable?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Hence the big uptake in BTL.

Pensions are too risky. The companies involved are greedy, reckless, incompetent and sometimes downright criminal.

The only safe pension is for the public sector parasites.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
    ... Windsor Life...
    You're doomed

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2008....lifeinsurance

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Thank you sir... Have a nice day now, bless you...
    Don't forget to "wring your cap"!

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Good advice.

I think I'll start selling the Big Issue.

It's got more of a future.
    You are bogeyman and I claim my 5 free issues.

Atw.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    55K - 7.5K My life insurance fund "only" lost 35%...but these losses seem to be the norm. Interestingly when the FTSE recovered my pension fund didn't.

hmm losses for the pension fund, profits for the boys.

My advice: subscribe to some research, eg S&P and buy your own stocks.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 16 June 2008, 07:19.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    You are BI and I claim my five pounds
    Wavey wave.

Five pounds of warmed sherry trifle? All scoffed, I'm afraid.

I could do a half of a huge bag of unshelled peanuts; I assume your opposable thumbs are up to the job of shelling.

Anyway, wasn't he an AtW bot?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Or as NF might put it, think of a Plan A that your current job is holding you back from.
    You are BI and I claim my five pounds

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    But I was a contractor once... until October 2002... ho hum... I only discovered this site during my loooooong spell on the bench from then to 2004 when I started fixing fruit machines...

I take it that you realise that I'm not a lecturer , but a technician?
    Dropped-jaw smiley.

No, I did not realise. I thought all your laissez-faire comments about one or fewer students turning up were from a super-cynical lecturer's viewpoint.

So that I get to listen to all the lectures through one ear whilst posting nonsense here to while away the hours... and don't have to spend hours in the evening preparing for the next day's collection of misfits to generally ignore & sleep through ....
    So you're not the numpty up the front? Dammit man, get back out here contracting. I didn't realise you had a real job - I thought you had given up on life and taken up teaching.

Follow the advice that's been dished out here time and time again: use the time you have available to think of a Plan B and then start working out how to make it happen.

Or as NF might put it, think of a Plan A that your current job is holding you back from.

Check out Venture Wales & ITWales. They were a huge help to me.

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    National Mutual -> G.E. Pensions -> Swiss Re "Tomorrow" -> Windsor Life...

Last statement from G.E. dated Jan 2007... £55k.

Latest & first statement since then from Windsor Life £7.5k.

Where the flip has my £48k gone then?

Silly Question.

It's bought some **** a Porsche.
    Reading between the lines, it doesn't sound like you take a close interest in your pension, so its unlikely you actively chose to invest in anything wierd. Actually, given that it's an insurance company scheme, wierd would not even have been an option. Given the money was in relatively normal assets, I can't see any way that that decrease can be right. It's got to be an admin error. Unless it was a with-profits fund and one of the companies more or less went bust?

Leave a comment:

• mrdonuts
    replied
    check they havent gone out and bought you an annuity, without you even asking

this was in todays daily mail, similar sums involved

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

Silly Question.

If you'd been a public sector drone, it would have gone the other way ..

Leave a comment:

• max
    replied

Silly Question.

did you invest in a fund that was risky? Leveraged far east fund or something..or maybe leveraged US real estate.

Pension "management" fees are normally around 1%, so would cost you £750 in that time.

Dunno, xogg... it's confirmed my original prejudices against all pensions as legalised theft.

I shall contribute no more... and I'm getting out of this tedious job for something more remunerative asap.
    How is it "confirmed"? Get a grip man!

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    I shall contribute no more... and I'm getting out of this tedious job for something more remunerative asap.
    But Zeity, you're our honorary contractor-who-is-really-a-permie.

Surely you can't become a real one of us too?

It's listening to your stories of providing lectures to empty rooms, watching you posting relentlessly to ContractorUK during lecture time and generally plodding through each day that provides stability to our lives.

We all know that should, for some reason, we lose the will to continue with the ongoing fear of contract termination and skills redundancy, that we could always go into higher education and wile away the hours lusting after collleagues.

If you go contract, what hope is there for us? (And it'll bugger up your post count!)

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Thank Goodness Ive never paid into any pension fund whatsoever !

I will adminster the lethal injection when Ive had enough - I'll even pay for the shot.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X