• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Earliest childhood memory"

Collapse

• RichardCranium
    replied
    My earliest memory is examining the underside of the rear axle of a timber lorry. I recall it pulling away and watching the axle go round as the bed of the lorry passed over me.

We moved away from that house next to the timber yard when I was two.

In the next house my mum fell down the stairs and I stood and stared at her as she asked for help. I didn't know what to do.

A few days later it was my 3rd birthday and dad did the birthday cake because mum was still in hospital. He asked how I wanted the cake decorated and I said with Smarties. He said that was silly but I insisted so he stuck Smarties to this iced cake. I can see the cake clearly and I can remember him saying he thought it spoiled the cake. (I was 3, he was 43, what was the cake expert? Thank you.)

We left that house when I was five. I could write all night about my memories from living there: the various dogs we owned, being stung by a wasp in my welly, the lad up the road with a real working toy steam traction engine, the posh kid with the tree house, trying to convince another child to eat laburnum seeds, collecting berries in plastic boxes from the hedgerows, the big hill, the allotments at the end of the garden, my brother lighting magnesium ribbon tied to the garden fence, my brother getting caught trying to put the resulting fire out, putting my fist through my Etch-a-Sketch because it was too hard to do, burning 'f u c k' into the wooden clothes horse with a magnifying glass, telling one of the dogs to steal my mum's toast and it did, the horrific children's story book that still feeds my nightmares, Santa coming down the road on his sleigh in the snow late on Xmas Eve (it really happened: apparently it was the Round Table or Rotary on a horse-pulled milk float), the mobile shop (like a removals van with a grocer's inside), my mum washing her hair and running across the road to the hairdressers to get them to style it, the green and silver lipstick in the window of the hairdressers, the butler sink in the huge kitchen.

I also remember being taken down the HUGE steps to the front door when we first moved in: so I was 2 then.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucy View Post
    Chasing boys - it's always going to end in disaster.
    I dunno

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Gosh Nick, judging by your optimistic leftie thinking I was guessing you were in your 20s.
    Nope, that's the voice of experience

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    I remember my mum voting in the 1966 General Election - I was three, getting close to four.

Once she'd got that boring nonsense out of the way we got on with the important business of buying The Beano

But that can't be my earliest memory - clearly I could read The Beano, and I have vague memories of my sister teaching me how to do that (well, not just The Beano), which was when I'd just turned three... so nearly a year before that election.

Gosh Nick, judging by your optimistic leftie thinking I was guessing you were in your 20s.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    I remember my mum voting in the 1966 General Election - I was three, getting close to four.

Once she'd got that boring nonsense out of the way we got on with the important business of buying The Beano

But that can't be my earliest memory - clearly I could read The Beano, and I have vague memories of my sister teaching me how to do that (well, not just The Beano), which was when I'd just turned three... so nearly a year before that election.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    oops

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Going swimming at the pool in Walsall. Playing with large block at the pre-school. Going out in -12F weather in Canada and learning to ice skate on my own backyard pond. (I don't recall the flight over at all) Those were the days!

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    not quite - I was adopted and don't remember much before that... Remember my first day at school too - was mid way through the process and didn't know what my name was... got my fist name right but... that was about it

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by beeker View Post
    Did they farm you out after birth for a few years then?.... they must have been contractors!!
    not quite - I was adopted and don't remember much before that... Remember my first day at school too - was mid way through the process and didn't know what my name was... got my first name right but... that was about it
    Last edited by cailin maith; 13 June 2008, 14:51.

Leave a comment:

• beeker
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    Mine is meeting my dad - remember getting off the bus and I was wearing a tan/camel coloured coat, I remember thinking he talked funny... Mammy doesn't like to hear that - cos I don't remember meeting her first

I think I was about 3

Did they farm you out after birth for a few years then?.... they must have been contractors!!

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Mine is meeting my dad - remember getting off the bus and I was wearing a tan/camel coloured coat, I remember thinking he talked funny... Mammy doesn't like to hear that - cos I don't remember meeting her first

I think I was about 3

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    Originally posted by Tensai View Post
    I remember hardly anything from my childhood, even during primary school and later, it's highly annoying. Everyone else seems to recall loads. I suspect the late-teens boozing may have killed off a few too many brain cells....

Yeh me too. Except the ladybird invasion of '76. Damn those ladybirds.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    must have been 2 or 3.
    I don't think I can remember much before 5

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Remember riding on the back of my brother's motorcycle around our orchard - must have been 2 or 3. Also have vague memories of the house we lived in then.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Chasing a boy around at nursery school, slipping over on the shiny wooden floor and landing on a bracket that was holding up the playpen. It cut my backside - I still have the scar. I was too embarassed to tell anyone so I didn't go to hospital until my mother took me home and saw it.

I think I was about 3 or 4.

Chasing boys - it's always going to end in disaster.
    "My old man used to say, before he left this world, never chase buses or women. You always get left behind."
    -- "Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X