• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Poll: Long or Short contracts?"

Collapse

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    I like 3 month contracts.

Allows me to walk at the end should it be terrible. Also I prefer contracts that are fast paced with not much sitting around so a shorter time scale is better.

Most of my contracts are like this. Clients decided in Jan/Feb that peak performance (nov - dec for 90% companies) was rubbish and for next year they need changes.

So I usually get contracts in March that run till about Oct - Nov time...baby sit the results till new year.

Rinse and repeat.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I work call off contracts with a certain number of days/hours, generally until the end of the year.

Currently, I've got about 120 days for the rest of the year.

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    True, but any other excuse makes you look like a quitter.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
    "Yes, I like to get the job done efficiently. I'm not one of these contractors who milks it out to the bitter end"
    How is that going to get the agent more money for less effort?

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by jo99 View Post
    Anybody else have this issue? If so how do you deal with it?
    "Yes, I like to get the job done efficiently. I'm not one of these contractors who milks it out to the bitter end"

Leave a comment:

• jo99
    replied
    I had quite a few short contracts mostly 3 months, two 2 months and another 1 month. Agents always comment on the shortness as if it is a crime.......they do not seem to comprehend that you want to do the job and get out - not get a perm postion!

Anybody else have this issue? If so how do you deal with it?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    I usually like three months as a starting point, although I've always been extended (on three-monthers) by at least one month. Longest single stint was 23 months.

My last two have been six months (although the second was cut to five months due to rapidly-changing circumstances at the client). But they were both such high-profile opportunities (within the industry) that it was well worth making the extra commitment just for the future kudos of having them on my past client list

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    John Menzies.
    Pleased to meet you. How are the newsagents going?

Leave a comment:

• cassandra
    replied
    I can't see the option for " 2 weeks or less "..

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    I've never had a contract that was more than 3 months at the start.

I've almost always been extended though. The longest stint I've done was 18 months.

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    I prefer short to start with, with the option for 3 month renewals. I'm much more likely to stay with a place if I only need to look at a max of 12 weeks head.

Leave a comment:

• kali
    started a poll Poll: Long or Short contracts?

Poll: Long or Short contracts?

3 months
    23.68%
    6 months
    44.74%
    12 months
    23.68%
    > 12 months - secretly I wanna be a permie
    7.89%
    I prefer short contracts (3 - 6 months at a time), anything longer feels just to, well permie really.

Most of the contracts I seem to get offered are 6 months+ though.

I did manage to talk the renewals in my current gig down to 3 month stints but I could see they weren't keen.

Poll coming soon...
    Last edited by kali; 5 June 2008, 11:14.

Working...
X