• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone here an expert in Chinook software?"

Collapse

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Google is your friend - and Troll is, well, he's just a troll.
    Mostly wiki actually....... + boredom

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    So... at the Battle of Jutland the British Grand Fleet comprised of:

28 x Battleships
    9 x Battle Cruisers
    8 x Armoured Cruisers
    26 Light Cruisers
    78 Destroyers

The battleships main armament were 10 x 13.5 inch Mk V naval gun uprated to fire a 1400Ibs armour piercing or high explosive shell 23,800 yards (13.5 miles)

The Battle Cruisers had 8 x 12 inch MkX which would lob a 850lbs shell 24075 yards (13 miles+)

28 x 7 tons = 196 tons
    9 x 3.4tons = 30.6 tons

these two types in a hypothetical full broadsides & ignoring all the lesser ships, smaller secondary armament and torpedoes would present 226 tons at a striking velocity (dependant on angle of elevation) of 1250 fps

The Apache attack helicopter has
    30mm chain gun +1200 rounds + 8 x Hellfire missiles

Hellfire has a 20lb warhead with a range of 5+ miles and a striking speed of 425 metres /sec
    Google is your friend - and Troll is, well, he's just a troll.

Leave a comment:

• scooby
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post

28 x Battleships
    9 x Battle Cruisers
    8 x Armoured Cruisers
    26 Light Cruisers
    78 Destroyers

The battleships main armament were 10 x 13.5 inch Mk V naval gun uprated to fire a 1400Ibs armour piercing or high explosive shell 23,800 yards (13.5 miles)

The Battle Cruisers had 8 x 12 inch MkX which would lob a 850lbs shell 24075 yards (13 miles+)

28 x 7 tons = 196 tons
    9 x 3.4tons = 30.6 tons

these two types in a hypothetical full broadsides & ignoring all the lesser ships, smaller secondary armament and torpedoes would present 226 tons at a striking velocity (dependant on angle of elevation) of 1250 fps

Hellfire has a 20lb warhead with a range of 5+ miles and a striking speed of 425 metres /sec

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by Marina View Post
    I read somewhere that one Apache has the combined firepower of the whole Grand Fleet at Jutland.

Seems a bit hard to believe, but all the same I wouldn't want to be the wrong end to find out.

28 x Battleships
    9 x Battle Cruisers
    8 x Armoured Cruisers
    26 Light Cruisers
    78 Destroyers

28 x 7 tons = 196 tons
    9 x 3.4tons = 30.6 tons

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    Wasn't the whole purpose of buying these Chinooks to help Boeings helicopter business and encourage some noisey septic politico talk about something else?

What I ask is were they ever really intended to fly?

It was, after all is said and done, just a big bung oppo.
    Oh, you cynical swine!

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Wasn't the whole purpose of buying these Chinooks to help Boeings helicopter business and encourage some noisey septic politico talk about something else?

What I ask is were they ever really intended to fly?

It was, after all is said and done, just a big bung oppo.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Got chased by a herd of cows up there once. I thought they were bursting to be milked but now its obvious they were stampeding away from a salvo of torpedos.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Friend of mine is ex-RN (you may have seen him at Diana and Charles's wedding, he was the special shiny guard stood to the right of the door when they came out....), he claims to be one of the few naval men to have torpedoed a cow.

Doing some live firing training with dummy (or at least, unarmed) Mk. 8 torpedoes off a destroyer somewhere off the south coast many years ago, someone got it entirely wrong and fired the thing to turn right (towards land) instead of left (towards America). Ran up the beach at some speed, thorugh a fence and knocked over an innocent cow.
    I used to holiday up at Arrochar as a youngster, there were certain times you weren't permitted on the beach of the campsite(Ardgarten) because of the possibility of a torpedo running up the beach.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Sounds to me like an urban legend - I thought a torpedo would only arm itself after launch.

(But then it did take the RN literally about fifty years to design the current models following WW2. So who knows what cock ups there could have been while ironing out wrinkles throughout that time.)
    Friend of mine is ex-RN (you may have seen him at Diana and Charles's wedding, he was the special shiny guard stood to the right of the door when they came out....), he claims to be one of the few naval men to have torpedoed a cow.

Doing some live firing training with dummy (or at least, unarmed) Mk. 8 torpedoes off a destroyer somewhere off the south coast many years ago, someone got it entirely wrong and fired the thing to turn right (towards land) instead of left (towards America). Ran up the beach at some speed, thorugh a fence and knocked over an innocent cow.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Er, no, just all the missile thingies and machine guns, etc, basically that clobber on the wings. (I'm only passing on what I read.) Also, they may be talking about "focused" fire power, or density, assuming the weaponry is more accurate.
    Well I guess it all depends upon how you measure these things. They dont half tell you a load of cobblers in the forces though, like 'this is the bestest tank in the world, FACT.' - The idea is that soldiers etc have got to have the highest confidence in their kit.

Leave a comment:

• Marina
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    That's the version of the Apache armed with the nuclear tipped missile option, then is it?
    Er, no, just all the missile thingies and machine guns, etc, basically that clobber on the wings. (I'm only passing on what I read.) Also, they may be talking about "focused" fire power, or density, assuming the weaponry is more accurate.

Leave a comment:

• Marina
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Dont know much about Chinook software but I used to fly an Apache helicopter in years gone by. The HUD, IFF and weapons systems were pretty near perfect ..
    I read somewhere that one Apache has the combined firepower of the whole Grand Fleet at Jutland.

Seems a bit hard to believe, but all the same I wouldn't want to be the wrong end to find out.

Leave a comment:

• Marina
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    A friend of mine worked on some heat-seaking torpedo software. There was a concern that a torpedo could hit the ship that fired it. Someone came up with the idea that is the torpedo turned 180 degrees then it should self destruct. This was coded up.

They decided to test this - sailed to testing ground and armed some missiles. Fired one, told it to turn 180 degrees and it self destructed. The ship then turned 180 degress and the armed missiles blew up! No one had coded that the missile should only self destruct if fired.

And before you laugh a naval rating lost his life.
    Sounds to me like an urban legend - I thought a torpedo would only arm itself after launch.

(But then it did take the RN literally about fifty years to design the current models following WW2. So who knows what cock ups there could have been while ironing out wrinkles throughout that time.)

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    I think that's the one I nearly worked on a few years back.

If so, the reason the things have been stuck in a shed for 8 years is they did not have airworthiness certificates and the reason for that was inadequate softare documentation. I was supposed to do a reverse engineer job from the assembler but the contract never came through.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Dont know much about Chinook software but I used to fly an Apache helicopter in years gone by. The HUD, IFF and weapons systems were pretty near perfect, I used to love it , especially the combat missions, until my near fatal crash.
    My zx spectrum went wonky one day and it crashed, I was so distraught I nearly stuck me ead in the gas oven.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X