• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Todays no tulip sherlock poll"

Collapse

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Lenders aren't stupid. They know that the asset you are buying is going to fall at least 20% (probably nearer 50%) over the next 2 years, so they are trying to ensure that falls does not put them at risk of loses.

Build your cash pile, sit back and wait.

Leave a comment:

• scooby
    replied
    Originally posted by Tensai View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

The usual blocker is being unable to come up with a 5% deposit plus all the other expenses needed (which for a £200K property in London is tricky for a couple of youngsters.) Even if property prices drop 10 to 20%, that doesn't affect the stamp duty and deposit required by much AND most lenders seem to want >10% deposit these days?

Hopefully someone much brighter than me will show me the error in my thinking.
    yep, most lenders do! i had a quote from Halifax the other week, they wanted 10% + all other debts paying off (both mine and wife) and would only lend £167k as we want to keep our current property. they were the only ones willing to offer at the min. i used Contractormoney too, but the market has changed so much... i was being offered up £400k 125% at the turn of the year. (altho i doubt i could afford that or want to commit to that much...)

Leave a comment:

• Tensai
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    These days parents are expected to help their children out!
    Agreed. Though I know of a mate who fell out with his Dad, who subsequently demanded a proportion of the equity increase when he sold the house....

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Tensai View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

The usual blocker is being unable to come up with a 5% deposit plus all the other expenses needed (which for a £200K property in London is tricky for a couple of youngsters.) Even if property prices drop 10 to 20%, that doesn't affect the stamp duty and deposit required by much AND most lenders seem to want >10% deposit these days?

These days parents are expected to help their children out!

Leave a comment:

• Tensai
    replied
    Originally posted by scooby View Post
    how will they buy when no one will give them a mortgage?
    My thoughts exactly.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    The BBC report is typical nuLieBore spin.

As the septics say, "Making chicken salad out of chicken s....."

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Same old formula; state the bleeding obvious under the heading of "a recent report" or "a recent survey shows . . ." throw a few percentages in for authenticity, then wheel out an academic to back it all up.

Tabloid journalism at it's most inane.

Leave a comment:

• scooby
    replied
    how will they buy when no one will give them a mortgage?

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    And to counter the BBC trainee journalist's view, here is another noob journalist's view:-

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article....&in_page_id=34

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    They should wait a bit longer. More falls to come yet.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    started a topic Todays no tulip sherlock poll

Todays no tulip sherlock poll

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7433303.stm

Really, thats fascinating.

Working...
X