• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Blagging

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Blagging"

Collapse

• Lockhouse
    replied
    I blagged my way into a Java contract at an investment bank many years ago. I completed an Enterprise Java Course the day before which was the sum total of my Java experience. Once in I gravitated to the server side stuff I could just about blag properly but I was truly terrible in that contract (it was a bad time in my life, I was falling asleep in meetings etc) and I still lasted 18 months.

These days not only don't I ever blag (I don't need to) as a poacher turned gamekeeper I know when someone's trying to pull a fast one.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    a) None - never have
    WHS - I've enough stress in my life.

b) Work on my own. I could get a mirror. Dam scooter you did that? Amazing.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    You've been on the bench since 2008?
    Well if he resurrects zombie threads with a non-post he will find himself an ex-member of this forum...

Leave a comment:

• Boney M
    replied
    I dont blag, feel no need for it. I also dont open my mouth to colleagues and stuff about what technologies I excel in and what I dont, that is the quickest way to get a load of tulip lumped your way because you know more than anyone else about the discussed technology. Just give me my work, I will complete and same again, no need to be taking on extra stuff, unless it is going to prolong a decent contract

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by rurffy View Post
    Funny how people blag on CVs - leaving us the truthful ones on bench!
    You've been on the bench since 2008?

Leave a comment:

• rurffy
    replied
    Funny how people blag on CVs - leaving us the truthful ones on bench!

Leave a comment:

• Archangel
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    I never blag or lie about my abilities... that’s why I keep getting crap gigs with piss poor rates, damn that catholic upbringing.
    WHS

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    I don't blag but I have reasonable background knowledge of most technologies in my field, and don't bother with roles involving stuff I have absolutely no knowledge of. For those where I'm pushing it a bit, I tell them straight out that I don't really know very much about whatever it may be, but I know X, Y and Z about it and I'll get up to speed rapidly.

It's surprising how often one or more of X, Y and Z turns out to be something the interviewer didn't know themselves - that's usually enough that they're happy if I spend most of the first week or two Googling stuff
    Last edited by NickFitz; 2 June 2008, 03:07.

Leave a comment:

• JoJoGabor
    replied
    I tend not to blag (just word nicely) but my feeling is that most people do. I often go throgh the CV sections of project folders, and the vast majority have easy to spot mistakes such as :

SQL 2003 deisgn and implementation (do you mean 2005?)
    Exchange 2007 implementation (dated in a role in early 2006!!!)

I've also interviewed somebody who was the same school year as me but claimed A*'s at GCSE even though they weren't introduced until the following year and claimed A* at A-level which I dont think they have ever had. You should have seen his face drop when I challenged that!!

Its amazing how many people actually get through the entire interview process by blagging - but often it shows in the first few weeks, but I am more interested in somebody's ability rather than experience.

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    Nice one Chef

USB stick will be brimming with top blagging goodies. I'll have to stay away so the evenings cramming won't be a problem, anyone know cheap digs near cheltenham with free wifi?

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    I work in IT/software development, in Singapore at present, given the fact I have just said I blagged my latest gig I'm not quite ready to give the full address of my current employer..

Leave a comment:

• kali
    replied
    what do you do chef?

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    i did it to get this gig, it's all going swimmingly so far, it was way out of my depth but nobody suspects a thing as long as your confident and can delay until tomorrow, spend your evenings cramming on what you dont know and eventually you'll catch up.. worked for me and i've just got a renewal..

good luck

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by Badger View Post
    Update: I got the gig

Hopefully this one will actually start, as I've had 2 gigs cancel on me at the last minute.
    Congrats!

Don't forget to bring your Blagger Kit with you on the first day.

List of all websites you can search, post questions etc. on USB stick.

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    Update: I got the gig

Hopefully this one will actually start, as I've had 2 gigs cancel on me at the last minute.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X