• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Not just rate cuts - Banks IT going to India"

Collapse

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by YHB View Post
    As I can tell you there is no way the actual management who make these decisions to outsource actually want to deal with the outsourced lot directly in the meetings!!!
    Question is - do we?

Leave a comment:

• YHB
    replied
    Inorder to not be 'doomed' get some "business facing" elements into your role role where you are involved in some requirements gathering etc -

As I can tell you there is no way the actual management who make these decisions to outsource actually want to deal with the outsourced lot directly in the meetings!!!

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    The change is estimated to mean that only a fifth of tech staff working in the affected areas, mainly internal software design and testing [for only one, relatively minor internal product, ie - a tiny part of IT and a fraction of contractors in the group as a whole], will be left in the UK.
    Let me change the emphasis (above), and add a bit [like this], and things suddenly become clearer.

Bear in mind that (my ex-clientco) has tuliploads of staff and contractors - I happen to know that this won't affect customers. I do, however, know a few who are personally affected by this, and extend my sympathies - this is a horrible time for them.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
    Half-Life was better
    Indeed, so good I played it twice!

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    If this goes ahead then I will be closing my TSB accounts. Personal, business, onshore and off. I am a personal friend of my local manager and I will explain to her why they have lost our custom.
    Because of principle or because the service is likely to go downhill?

Leave a comment:

• ctdctd
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Doom ....love it
    Half-Life was better

Leave a comment:

• beercohol
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    If this goes ahead then I will be closing my TSB accounts. Personal, business, onshore and off. I am a personal friend of my local manager and I will explain to her why they have lost our custom.
    Don't do that! You'd be sure to bring them to their knees.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Doomed. It's the future.
    Doom ....love it

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko View Post
    If they can't figure this out at the beginning how do you think they can realise later and admit that they made a big mistake?
    Because they believe SLAs with Indian companies. Or never mention software quality in the original contract.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
    Exactly! They'll then realise what a waste of money it is getting the work done twice
    If they can't figure this out at the beginning how do you think they can realise later and admit that they made a big mistake?

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Not the disaster you might imagine - they will need lots more testers to make sure everything that comes back from India actually works.
    Exactly! They'll then realise what a waste of money it is getting the work done twice

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Agency sources are incorrect. It is ridiculous to state that there are only 250 contractors in the whole group, and only 150 permies.

This offshoring exercise affects only a small part of the bank.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    It is different in this case.

80% of the technical jobs are going, never to return. Only a skeleton IT function remains in the whole of the UK. Any growth in IT will be accommodated in India.

Doomed. It's the future.
    Yet another instance of UK Plc being deskilled.

Ah well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X