• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Manchester

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Manchester"

Collapse

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    A Welsh man walking through a field,sees a man drinking water from a pool with his hand.The welsh man shouts "Paid a yfed y dwr mae'r gwartheg yn cachi yn y dwr"(Don't drink the water,it's full of cow tulip).
    The man shouts back "I'm a Man Utd fan, on my way to the match, lost ,speak english,I don't understand you".
    The welsh man shouts back "Use both hands,you'll get more in"

Quality

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    It's Official - Uefa Cup violence 'started early'

An official report into the Uefa Cup Final in Manchester on 14 May has found evidence of anti-social behaviour eight hours before the match kicked off.

Violence broke out in Piccadilly Gardens when a big screen showing the Rangers and Zenit St Petersburg match stopped working before kick-off.

But the Manchester City Council report found missiles were thrown at acts on a stage and fights started mid-morning.

The report stated: "The first act on stage lasted only 20 minutes out of the 45 minutes scheduled because they were pelted with cans and coins."

"Large numbers of people were jumping up and down on the roof and urinating on top of the unit.

"Although the police were called the sheer numbers surrounding them meant there was little they could do."

The report found 39 fans were arrested across the city for offences including public disorder, assault and possession of offensive weapons.

The Rangers Supporters Assembly raised concerns over the way Greater Manchester Police appeared to switch from "helpful mode" to "riot mode" and had also received reports regarding police over-reaction.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    you'll find some stuff about bestiarii here
    http://www.kurtsaxon.com/those_a_t_d/
    Eek, big article alert!

Interesting stuff, I had no idea the Romans were bloodthirsty on such a huge scale, with sometimes thousands of people involved in staged battles watched by 500,000 spectatators. And they thought we were uncivilised!

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I tried searching on human versus dog fights but didn't find much. I know wolves instinctivley steer clear of humans, no doubt for good historical reason. I also recall some nature film where African kids said they regularly stole meat from lions. Vegies like hippos and elephant are another matter entirely though, and big human killers. As you say this kind of toughness is a little out of the league of the average contractor (or Man U. hoolligan) territory.
    you'll find some stuff about bestiarii here
    http://www.kurtsaxon.com/those_a_t_d/

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    it's true. A human male is a pretty tough cookie, a lot more dangerous than you would think given that he has no natural armoury. When you add even a little technology they are blooming lethal.
    Bushmen in Africa or Oz have very little to fear , I remember one guy saying he was a little apprehensive around elephants but everything else was easy food. He said if he walked around even with just a stick, lions would shift out of the way pdq.
    Obviously we are talking about fully fit experienced guys here, not couch potato contractors.

The romans used to put bestiarii into the arena with packs of lions, cheetah, tigers, who they would massacre, and for special occasions and a pot of gold, they would do it unarmed
    I tried searching on human versus dog fights but didn't find much. I know wolves instinctivley steer clear of humans, no doubt for good historical reason. I also recall some nature film where African kids said they regularly stole meat from lions. Vegies like hippos and elephant are another matter entirely though, and big human killers. As you say this kind of toughness is a little out of the league of the average contractor (or Man U. hoolligan) territory.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    A Welsh man walking through a field,sees a man drinking water from a pool with his hand.The welsh man shouts "Paid a yfed y dwr mae'r gwartheg yn cachi yn y dwr"(Don't drink the water,it's full of cow tulip).
    The man shouts back "I'm a Man Utd fan, on my way to the match, lost ,speak english,I don't understand you".
    The welsh man shouts back "Use both hands,you'll get more in"

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    I can't complain too much as I have a ticket, getting there is another thing
    www.kayak.com

Try going through Helsinki - Finair, or Copenhagen - SAS or Frankfurt - Lufthansa.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    True, not one for the average joe. I think the technique is to get down on one knee, and then presumably kill it with a single blow to the nose/head. Police dogs may be trained to harass rather than attack so I don't know whether this would work. A (sane) wild dog on its own wouldn't attack a man though.
    it's true. A human male is a pretty tough cookie, a lot more dangerous than you would think given that he has no natural armoury. When you add even a little technology they are blooming lethal.
    Bushmen in Africa or Oz have very little to fear , I remember one guy saying he was a little apprehensive around elephants but everything else was easy food. He said if he walked around even with just a stick, lions would shift out of the way pdq.
    Obviously we are talking about fully fit experienced guys here, not couch potato contractors.

The romans used to put bestiarii into the arena with packs of lions, cheetah, tigers, who they would massacre, and for special occasions and a pot of gold, they would do it unarmed.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    My father (an ex amateur boxer) used to tell me dogs aren't difficult to deal with. I think he had to kill one once, though didn't go into details. Mind you as kids they used to punch off the tops of iron railing! Also told me a story about a man punching knocking out (and perhaps killing) a horse. Moral of the story: a boxer can hit jolly hard, and a wild dog on its own in wouldn't attack a man or stand much chance if it did.
    For your average dog maybe, police dogs a a whole different matter. They are trained to grab you and drag you down and they wont let go untill they are told to. And while you are busy trying to deal with that, with a large German Shepard hanging off your arm, the handler is going to be wading in with his baton the minute he realises you are stupid enough to try and put up a fight and not lie down when you are told to.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    I heard that while I was driving home and thought that was totally wrong. I can't see why a load of Man U fans can't enjoy the game in their own city centre - Slough is a dump to start with!
    I can't complain too much as I have a ticket, getting there is another thing

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    The council have now cancelled plans for the Champions league final to be shown in the centre now.

I don't understand the logic here i.e. some Glasgow Rangers fans went on the rampage ergo United supporters are likely to do the same in their own town. FFS Punish the locals for the actions of misbehaving visitors!?
    I heard that while I was driving home and thought that was totally wrong. I can't see why a load of Man U fans can't enjoy the game in their own city centre - Slough is a dump to start with!

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    After a few pints loads of people become "amateur boxers". I think the capability of joe average to take on a large german shepherd is not as high as you imply.
    True, not one for the average joe. I think the technique is to get down on one knee, and then presumably kill it with a single blow to the nose/head. Police dogs may be trained to harass rather than attack so I don't know whether this would work. A (sane) wild dog on its own wouldn't attack a man though.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Yes we've seen Blazing saddles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_RKPGS2vwM

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    railing! Also told me a story about a man punching knocking out (and perhaps killing) a horse.
    Yes we've seen Blazing saddles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_RKPGS2vwM

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    My father (an ex amateur boxer) used to tell me dogs aren't difficult to deal with. I think he had to kill one once, though didn't go into details. Mind you as kids they used to punch off the tops of iron railing! Also told me a story about a man punching knocking out (and perhaps killing) a horse. Moral of the story: a boxer can hit jolly hard, and a wild dog on its own in wouldn't attack a man or stand much chance if it did.
    After a few pints loads of people become "amateur boxers". I think the capability of joe average to take on a large german shepherd is not as high as you imply.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X