• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Phantom interview - advice needed !"

Collapse

• Cheshire Cat
    replied
    have you spoken to the pimp about it? Has he/she contacted you to see how it went? I can't see how they would gain from sending you to an interview if they knew the interviewer was unavailable. Chances are that it was a negligent f*** up on the part of either the pimp or the client, or that the client didn't really have a role to advertised and for some reason was bullied into the interview by the pimp. Maybe some newbie sap in HR couldn't say no, so just hid in the bogs when you came round. V unprofessional, but really, what can you do? Invoice the pimp if you like, but don't hold your breath.

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    I once sat through a full interview, got offered the gig, only to find out that the agency had sent me for a permie role..... (at £28k p.a. )

Leave a comment:

• Weltchy
    replied
    I saw the topic heading and thought you were interviewing some guy in a purple lycra bodysuit, black leather boots and gloves and a black eye-mask.
    Last edited by Weltchy; 15 May 2008, 08:06.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Even if your real name is Smitfire, you won't be blackballed. If an agent can make money out of you, all will soon be forgiven.

Chances are it'll be an agency most experienced contractors avoid.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Smitfire View Post
    I had the telephone interview - this was the f2f second interview. Have already complained to the Agency via email and several calls - not a word back !

I'd love to say which Agency it was, but I'm afraid of being blackballed.
    How can you be blackballed when you are using a username that is not linked to your real name and when loads of people on here have to deal with agencies tricks?

The only thing that is likely to happen is that your post is removed so the best thing to do is give us a clue. In other words what does the agency name sound like?

Leave a comment:

• Smitfire
    replied
    Originally posted by Turion View Post
    Lose a days pay for some speculative chance. Never! Telephone interviews are the way. Not had a F2F since 2002. Insist on it, especially if you're already in work. For poor sods who have to have f2f you can always do a pre-interview tele interview to sus whether it's worth wasting a day. If client won't do that, you're on to a loser.

PS: Invoice agency for lost earnings
    I had the telephone interview - this was the f2f second interview. Have already complained to the Agency via email and several calls - not a word back !

I'd love to say which Agency it was, but I'm afraid of being blackballed.

Leave a comment:

• Jubber
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

...... or web cam setup.
    Hmmm - I would have to devise some cunning backdrop to cover the chaos which is my 'Home Office'. Palm trees.?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by eliquant View Post
    Wait some time until the agent forgets about this folly of his then go to the agency that wasted your time dressed in cycling gear holding a packet addressed to the agent who stiffed you but insist that you require a signiture from the person it is addressed to and not anyone in reception etc. or a colleague ....

When the agent come for the packet smack him as hard as you can and then run off !

I might try that on a family solicitor sometime...

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Not exactly, but in permie days once arrived for an interview and found contrary to expectations fostered by agent that salary was about 25% less than I was already earning and job had about zero interest/potential. I was not too polite if I recall. But then I rarely am.

Leave a comment:

• eliquant
    replied
    Wait some time until the agent forgets about this folly of his then go to the agency that wasted your time dressed in cycling gear holding a packet addressed to the agent who stiffed you but insist that you require a signiture from the person it is addressed to and not anyone in reception etc. or a colleague ....

When the agent come for the packet smack him as hard as you can and then run off !

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Is it the fault of the agent or did client lie to him? I have been left standing twice - in both cases it was the client's fault.
    In one case chap had been up all night on support - so did not turn up. Someone else took over 20 minutes later.

In the other case chap was running behind schedule. After 30 minutes I left. I guess I should have gone sooner?

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Is it the fault of the agent or did client lie to him? I have been left standing twice - in both cases it was the client's fault.
    I get stood up all the time. Maybe I should shower more often.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Smitfire View Post
    When is an interview not an interview?

Answer: when the Agent confirms it with you but not the client. Yes, it happened to me yesterday and I'm fuming. I needed to book a day off to attend, therefore losing a days' pay, as well as drive 130 miles each way (Diesel ain't cheap these days, not to mention getting stuck on the M25 for an hour in the blazing sun.)

Once arrived I found out the the interviewer was on annual leave so no chance of a cheeky one - all in all a complete wate of time and money.

The question is, what recourse do I have with the Agency, if any? Has anyone else experienced similar, if so what was the outcome?

Perhaps an Agent would like to respond with an 'official' view.

If I'm fortunate enough for the client to rearrange the interview and eventually get an offer, I'll leave it at that.

Yours, on fire.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Turion View Post
    Lose a days pay for some speculative chance. Never! Telephone interviews are the way. Not had a F2F since 2002. Insist on it, especially if you're already in work. For poor sods who have to have f2f you can always do a pre-interview tele interview to sus whether it's worth wasting a day. If client won't do that, you're on to a loser.

WHS.

Telephone interview or web cam setup. F2F is sooooo permie.

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X