• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Tips, tricks and old wives' tales: Sunburn"

Collapse

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Hair of the dog. Get yourself back in the sun until your skin goes black.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    Wife got burnt in the Maldives and the lovely ladies applied Sandalwood paste and coconut lotion over her - took the heat out (she was feeling the effects of sunburn - headache, dizziness, nausea, pain etc)

Quite a relief actually as I was thinking it was a hospital visit!

Hope you can get it sorted
    They did that for me too, in the Maldives - really, really nice

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Wife got burnt in the Maldives and the lovely ladies applied Sandalwood paste and coconut lotion over her - took the heat out (she was feeling the effects of sunburn - headache, dizziness, nausea, pain etc)

Quite a relief actually as I was thinking it was a hospital visit!

Hope you can get it sorted

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    pure aloe vera is the only thing that will take the edge of it. we keep ours in the fridge so if the kids get prickly heat we just apply it.

Keep applying it on a regular basis, but it won't stop you from peeling...

Leave a comment:

• Moose423956
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    Here's one to make you laugh.
    Those of you who've met me will know I'm your typical blonde haired, blue eyed Scandinavian type. I therefore burn easily. Especially in tropical climates like this one.

And this is what has happened.

Yesterday, out sailing on a catamaran, I got a tad sunburnt. Think 'lobster'. Also - I still have a spot of mild sunstroke.

I'm drinking as much water as I can, and have covered myself in aloe vera lotion, but it looks like it's going to be peeling badly in a couple of days.

Any tips?

RH
    Don't fart when you have diaorrhea.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Factor 30! Applied it often enough. It was the trip back that did it. I was in the shadow of the sail, thinking I was safe from the sun's worst.
    Little did I realise that the reflected light from the waves behind me would do this much damage.

Lesson learnt.
    I learned a similar lesson 3000m up a mountain in fog. Fortunately, only my face was exposed.

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    Cheers Lucy

How's the pox? Had that so long ago I've forgotten what they did to alleviate it. Time for a cool bath and some ice.

So, that's:
    Ice
    Cucumbers
    Chamomile lotion
    Pure aloe lotion
    Plenty of water (drinking enough of it at the mo I'm going to the toilet every 20min!)
    Yoghurt

Hospital/quack if symptoms worsen.

Hopefully it'll clear soon, want to do a diving introduction in the next few days. The fish are really sweet in the reefs around here, swim right up to you, not phased at all. Strong currents though.

Take it easy all, cheers for the feedback. Catch you later

2 Slices of bread and salt!

You could always put the photos on the CUK Slackers Photos group on Facebook......

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Cheers Lucy

How's the pox? Had that so long ago I've forgotten what they did to alleviate it. Time for a cool bath and some ice.

So, that's:
    Ice
    Cucumbers
    Chamomile lotion
    Pure aloe lotion
    Plenty of water (drinking enough of it at the mo I'm going to the toilet every 20min!)
    Yoghurt

Hospital/quack if symptoms worsen.

Hopefully it'll clear soon, want to do a diving introduction in the next few days. The fish are really sweet in the reefs around here, swim right up to you, not phased at all. Strong currents though.

Take it easy all, cheers for the feedback. Catch you later

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Sounds like it was lovely RH.

If your body is having problems regulating your temperature you might have heat stroke and that can be serious. Try to keep your temperature down with cool baths and by putting ice under your arms, back of neck and around the groin Lavender and eucalyptus oils are good too, but I'm guessing you don't have them with you.

Seriously, if you are not feeling well go and see the doctor. I got third degree burns sailing once, sun off the water is a killer.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Don't **** about, get yourself checked over by a quack!
    The only decent hospital is an expensive 2 hr helicopter ride away, health insurance or not. I'm not exactly in the hub of civilisation. Thousands of miles away from the nearest city here.

Did have a brief check-up with the island's doctor last night and he said the same - any serious dizziness or fatigue and it's off to a&e.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Any tips?
    Yep, keep out of the sun.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Ok - I'll walk in to the suite, greet the new Mrs RH, holding a large cucumber.

And after she stops laughing...

CM - wedding was brilliant - all the elements worked well. classic and elegant wedding. She had and absolutely stunning dress/hair/makeup ensemble, was a tad shocked as she walked down the aisle. Was a bit nervous, until we were pronounced man and wife. I think maybe we overdid the 'kiss the bride' bit. That was quite a kiss.

Will PM some of the first photos that have come through when we get back next week.

Having a great time here (apart from the sunburn), water-skiing, sailing, snorkelling, kayaking etc. Great food.

Thats so sweet - I'm glad it all went well

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Ok - I'll walk in to the suite, greet the new Mrs RH, holding a large cucumber.

And after she stops laughing...

CM - wedding was brilliant - all the elements worked well. classic and elegant wedding. She had and absolutely stunning dress/hair/makeup ensemble, was a tad shocked as she walked down the aisle. Was a bit nervous, until we were pronounced man and wife. I think maybe we overdid the 'kiss the bride' bit. That was quite a kiss.

Will PM some of the first photos that have come through when we get back next week.

Having a great time here (apart from the sunburn), water-skiing, sailing, snorkelling, kayaking etc. Great food.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucy View Post
    Cucumber helps, the aloe vera plant is good too. Do not use teatree oil it is horrid.
    F*cked a botanist too, it appears...

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    I'm taking Pondlife's advice.
    Lying in bed hurts at the mo.

Still in paradise on honeymoon. Thought it would be a good idea to go on a boat trip. Hmm...
    Don't **** about, get yourself checked over by a quack!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X