• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Colleagues IT Blunders"

Collapse

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
    That happened to someone where I used to work. Took all the air out of the clean room and he died horribly, you insensitive clod.

Leave a comment:

• hugebrain
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    We had a system like that, but the manager explained to the newbies that the neon gas would be triggered if anything happened to the data. So they should be very careful as they would never make it to the door

That happened to someone where I used to work. Took all the air out of the clean room and he died horribly, you insensitive clod.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by wxman View Post
    Not too long ago actually..

I was part of a team that was creating a Credit Card processing interface as part of case management system.

During a fix and due to a quirk in the code, none of the live cases were flagged as completing the payment cycle and remained on the system as unpaid.

The upshot of this was that the system re-requested that payment again and again – in fact all through the night every 20 minutes. The only time it stopped taking payments, was when the credit card was maxed out and the transaction was declined.

The next day ½ the team were sacked as some 3,000 customers were affected as some £6 millions were taken over night!
    Holy tulip wxman!

That sounds like more than a storm in a teacup!

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by rhubarb View Post
    A few years back in one of our data-centres, we had a rather swish tape changing system - a robot arm shooting around on rails putting tapes in and taking out of drives.
    One of the tape changing monkeys that puts the new tapes into the hopper managed to put one of them in upside down. This then managed to become wedged in a tape drive one evening.
    When the robot arm turned up to remove the tape from the drive, it only succeeded in ripping the entire drive from it's housing and then continue it's journey shooting along the rails across the data centre, with a tape drive flailing around, bashing into countless expensive pieces of kit on it's journey.
    We did laugh.

Rhubarb.
    We had a system like that, but the manager explained to the newbies that the neon gas would be triggered if anything happened to the data. So they should be very careful as they would never make it to the door

Leave a comment:

• rhubarb
    replied
    A few years back in one of our data-centres, we had a rather swish tape changing system - a robot arm shooting around on rails putting tapes in and taking out of drives.
    One of the tape changing monkeys that puts the new tapes into the hopper managed to put one of them in upside down. This then managed to become wedged in a tape drive one evening.
    When the robot arm turned up to remove the tape from the drive, it only succeeded in ripping the entire drive from it's housing and then continue it's journey shooting along the rails across the data centre, with a tape drive flailing around, bashing into countless expensive pieces of kit on it's journey.
    We did laugh.

Rhubarb.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I once witnessed a whole tree of data disappear suddenly at about 2am, when we had to have a finished product ready for 4am in time for the boss to take it to Heathrow and to the client in the US (before the days you could just upload it). Turned out somebody had moved the whole tree into a subfolder by accident in Windows File Manager.

I did once write something that would empty the folder and any subfolders it was writing to, for good reasons. Unfortunately we found out some users were just targetting c:\.

Leave a comment:

• wxman
    replied
    Not too long ago actually..

I was part of a team that was creating a Credit Card processing interface as part of case management system.

During a fix and due to a quirk in the code, none of the live cases were flagged as completing the payment cycle and remained on the system as unpaid.

The upshot of this was that the system re-requested that payment again and again – in fact all through the night every 20 minutes. The only time it stopped taking payments, was when the credit card was maxed out and the transaction was declined.

The next day ½ the team were sacked as some 3,000 customers were affected as some £6 millions were taken over night!

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Sir_Edward_Matheson View Post

have

There should be a law forcing people who make such trivial mistakes, to pay back the cost of all the free education they received. This particular mistake is one of my biggest bugbears.
    There was no need for the comma after the word "mistakes" in the middle of your first sentence.

It may be that you, yourself, pause to breathe at that point in saying the sentence out loud, but this does not necessarily mean that the written form of the sentence requires a comma at that point - and indeed, such a pause would, in the context of that sentence as it would normally be spoken by a person whose first language was English, be rightly interpreted by listeners as an indication of physical infirmity or unfamiliarity with the language, for there is no other reason for anybody to pause in the middle of saying such a straightforward sentence as, "There should be a law forcing people who make such trivial mistakes to pay back the cost of all the free education they received".

Even if you were short of breath, that does not make the written form of that sentence, as you have posted it here, grammatically correct.

Oh, and pot-kettle, mote-beam, et cetera, et aliud.

This particular mistake is one of my biggest bugbears.

HTH
    Last edited by NickFitz; 26 April 2008, 02:42. Reason: Refinement of the prose

Leave a comment:

• Sir_Edward_Matheson
    replied
    Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
    you should of seen his face when he realised

have

There should be a law forcing people who make such trivial mistakes, to pay back the cost of all the free education they received. This particular mistake is one of my biggest bugbears.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    I once dropped a yorkie bar while driving.

Chocolate is a bitch to get out.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    My "oops" moment a few years ago was to run a .bat file that called the wscript command, or something similar, to run a script. Trouble is I had called the file wscript.bat
    When it ran it opened a new window running wscript.bat, which opened a third window, and so on at the rate of around 50 windows a second.

On the production database server.

In the eighties I was working on a project for IBM PC compatibles in 8086 assembly language. Aside from edit and debug, the cycle was: run the assembler on the source to to produce a set of .OBJ files, run the linker to join those into an executable, and run that. However, as we still developed on 5-1/4 inch floppies in those days, it was necessary (when returning to the "edit-and-scratch-head-in-bafflement" phase) to delete the .OBJ files so WordStar (which we used as an editor) had enough space for its scratch files.

One day, typing

Code:
    del *.obj
    I accidentally caught the space bar, and typed

Code:
    del *. obj
    and the extra space after the dot caused MS-DOS 3.2 to believe I meant "delete the current directory and all its contents"... the current directory being, of course, the root of the disc.

It asked "Are you sure? (Y/N)" and a fraction of a second after I hit "Y" I thought "Odd, it doesn't normally ask that unless you're deleting everything on the disk..."

I then spent three days with Norton Utilities, trying to figure out which sectors were part of the latest version of the .ASM files and which were left over from old versions, gradually rebuilding the File Allocation Table by hand

Still, at least it persuaded the boss that the useless assembler he'd got free off a mate, which couldn't even be told to assemble the .OBJ files on a different drive, wasn't really good enough, and we switched to MASM 5.

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    What an entertaining thread - thanks all for your stories.

My "oops" moment a few years ago was to run a .bat file that called the wscript command, or something similar, to run a script. Trouble is I had called the file wscript.bat
    When it ran it opened a new window running wscript.bat, which opened a third window, and so on at the rate of around 50 windows a second.

On the production database server.

Power - OFF!
    Needless to say the boss saw the funny side...
    Last edited by KentPhilip; 25 April 2008, 20:32.

Leave a comment:

• Bumfluff
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    secured his role at a higher rate
    you should of seen his face when he realised

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
    I've seen someone (a contractor) running a delete script thinking it was hitting dev but the environment variables were set to hit prod. He managed to take down a money making prod system for 5hrs forcing them on to contingency he did'nt get renewed, felt bad for him.
    secured his role at a higher rate

Leave a comment:

• Bumfluff
    replied
    I've seen someone (a contractor) running a delete script thinking it was hitting dev but the environment variables were set to hit prod. He managed to take down a money making prod system for 5hrs forcing them on to contingency he did'nt get renewed, felt bad for him.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X