• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Anyone got a gun?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone got a gun?"

Collapse

• Xenophon
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    I forgot to mention the employee of the quarter award

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I recall my first encounter with the directors of a multinational company. The global IT department were on the ground floor, directors on the first, so we'd interact occasionally, at events like "all company briefings". Most of them would have difficulty tying their own shoe laces. Certainly walking and chewing gum would be a challenge. There was one bright light among them - the COO. Very smart. Never wore a tie, and used to hang out with the smokers at the back door. Kind of guy who looks like he's about to ask your for spare change.

Most directors are in their position because of who they know, or who they're related - not their ability. Look at the chief executive of Novartis, who has the highest salary in Switzerland. His wife - the neice of a former chairman of Sandoz. ( Novartis was formed by the merger of Sandoz and Ciba-Geigy ).
    Last edited by NotAllThere; 23 April 2008, 09:05.

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    Either get me a gun quick, get Lucy to counsel me, or cheer me up!
    Lucy and Wilmslow.... now there is a match made in heaven.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    I'm sure this is taken verbatim from an episode of Reginald Perrin.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Argh, I am FRUSTRATED - I soooo need a gun after reading that reply.

I have an electric oven. My first floor bedroom has a porch to soften the fall onto a soft lawn.

Just flogged my old banger, so cannot even take that on the motorway for a quick ending with the CV joint about to go on it.

You really are a glutton for punishment. If being "counselled" by Lucy I was ready to

I suggest you ask for advice from all your friends on cuk...

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    Did I tell you about my new porsche?

HTH.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied

It could be worse, you could be Wilmslow.

Ah.....

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by HankWangford View Post
    So wilm, why is it important?
    Yeah - what on earth were his justifications for the wearing of a pointless anachronistic neck-rag?

Leave a comment:

• miffy
    replied
    Wilmsloooooooow

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    I forgot to mention the employee of the quarter award, a guy who lives 80 miles from work, arrives at work at 6:45am, leaves around 6, to get home for around 9pm with a family he never sees.

Has a company car, seems to think he needs to work mad hours to justify the 'free' car which he is taxed to the hilt on.

I really cannot believe I am entering permiedom - however, tough times, needs must and all of that!

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    The dark feelings are killing me nicely.

Keep them coming - do not be nice, put me out of my misery....
    << canned laughter >>

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    This I fear may be true. Permanent employees' housing transactions always take about a year to complete, for some reason. But as a 'staffer', you'll be allowed, nay expected, to spend 70% of your time on the phone to the solicitor, and 25% moaning to your colleagues about it. The other 5% gratefully swapping stories with your line manager, who took longer than you to complete on a more expensive house than yours.
    The dark feelings are killing me nicely.

Keep them coming - do not be nice, put me out of my misery....

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Originally posted by shoes View Post
    I also predict you will have problems selling your house and the mortgage you eventually end up with will be larger and more expensive than you were expecting.
    This I fear may be true. Permanent employees' housing transactions always take about a year to complete, for some reason. But as a 'staffer', you'll be allowed, nay expected, to spend 70% of your time on the phone to the solicitor, and 25% moaning to your colleagues about it. The other 5% gratefully swapping stories with your line manager, who took longer than you to complete on a more expensive house than yours.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    At least your hand didn't go to sleep making you think you're impotent!!!

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    Originally posted by shoes View Post
    You will be providing us with many such jems in the months to come I predict. I also predict you will have problems selling your house and the mortgage you eventually end up with will be larger and more expensive than you were expecting. You will be trapped in a permie job you hate with a take home that only just allows you to scrape together your monthly loan payments on your depreciating asset purchased at the top of the property bubble.

Meanwhile you are in last in first out position at your company just ahead of turbulent economic times.

Duh.
    Argh, I am FRUSTRATED - I soooo need a gun after reading that reply.

I have an electric oven. My first floor bedroom has a porch to soften the fall onto a soft lawn.

Just flogged my old banger, so cannot even take that on the motorway for a quick ending with the CV joint about to go on it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X