• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I hate web front ends"

Collapse

• Charles Foster Kane
    replied
    Originally posted by Jubber View Post
    Good when needed.

I find that often they are implemented when NOT necessary (internally) and an older more robust solution is better/faster, e.g. MS Access front end (unbound forms etc.) running on a proper database (Oracle, SQL Server)
    MS Access Front-End to SQL Server... Yeah, like, maybe in 1996, I bequeath you the title of Luddite from here on good sir

Seriously though, do you still tune in to the Archers on the wireless, and did you ever finish typing in that code listing for tennis, from Smash magazine, for your Amstrad CPC 464?

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    No, it wasn't a joke unfortunately.

And that's intriguing - Lubos Motl sometimes posts interesting stuff, and now you've got me wondering what he's found

Right, next stop Firefox. I'm fed up with IE

P.S. He loves to pile features into his blog pages. There are probably more bells and whistles, and God knows what, than string theory vacua. My 3 GHz PC, with 4 Gbyte of RAM staggers under the load of hauling in his page!
    Hmm, I was wondering whether the sci.physics.research OwlHoot was none other than the OwlHoot here. Lubos Motl's page takes ages to load in FF for me and I killed it in the end. I may read the page later, though I don't quite recall from my SPR readings of yore whether he was just a little 'different' in his views, or an out-and-out crackpot?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Oh, but I should have added that you're much better off with Firefox anyway - I just wanted to defend the IE Team from unjust, as opposed to just, castigation

Seriously, if they manage to do what they're aiming for with IE8, it will be a fine web browser let down by an abysmal user interface. The latter fault will be much easier to fix - I might even delve into the murky depths of the Win32 API and put a decent UI around their new rendering engine myself...

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    I can hardly believe it - After installing Firefox v2, and downloading flash player, all in a couple of minutes, Motl's page loads practically in a flash.

What a pile of tulip IE v8 must be - Totally broken!
    IE 8 is currently in its first public Beta - it isn't intended to be used for any other purpose than identifying how it's broken, and reporting the breakage (preferably with a suitably reduced test case) to the IE Team at Microsoft.

Unfortunately, MS's own internal structure is still sufficiently broken that the IE Team haven't been able to find a way to set up a bug reporting and tracking system that's available to the unwashed masses - they got about half-way when they released the IE 7 Betas, but were then forced to shut it down and throw it all away

The important thing is to understand that when they say "Beta", they mean it - it's not like that peculiar attitude espoused by Web outfits that remain in "Beta" long after they have a reasonably stable product. When Microsoft (and, indeed, Mozilla and Opera and Apple) say "Beta" about an application, as opposed to a web application, they mean "This has a good chance of breaking your computer" - and I personally agree with that attitude.

"Beta" with desktop software means "Flaky, unreliable, crashing software", not "You might get a JavaScript error every other Tuesday afternoon", so install it at your peril

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    I can hardly believe it - After installing Firefox v2, and downloading flash player, all in a couple of minutes, Motl's page loads practically in a flash.

What a pile of tulip IE v8 must be - Totally broken!

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    I am assuming that that is a joke as I can feel it flying about two feet over my head.

Never mind, very good though.
    No, it wasn't a joke unfortunately.

And that's intriguing - Lubos Motl sometimes posts interesting stuff, and now you've got me wondering what he's found

Right, next stop Firefox. I'm fed up with IE

P.S. He loves to pile features into his blog pages. There are probably more bells and whistles, and God knows what, than string theory vacua. My 3 GHz PC, with 4 Gbyte of RAM staggers under the load of hauling in his page!
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 8 May 2008, 23:43.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    If you think you have problems, try accessing http://motls.blogspot.com

I have Windows XP, using SP2 and bang up to date with updates, but that page freezes Internet Explorer v7. (Perhaps I'll upgrade to IE v8, as someone mentioned that was available.)

I wonder what the problem is though. Any web sleuths care to investigate?

It seems to be something to do with a "presentation" window, which was embedded in the first article yesterday but has now shifted down. (I can no longer see it, as the page freezes solid as soon as I enter it.)
    I am assuming that that is a joke as I can feel it flying about two feet over my head.

Never mind, very good though.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    If you think you have problems, try accessing http://motls.blogspot.com

I have Windows XP, using SP2 and bang up to date with updates, but that page freezes Internet Explorer v7. (Perhaps I'll upgrade to IE v8, as someone mentioned that was available.)

I wonder what the problem is though. Any web sleuths care to investigate?

It seems to be something to do with a "presentation" window, which was embedded in the first article yesterday but has now shifted down. (I can no longer see it, as the page freezes solid as soon as I enter it.)

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by unemployed View Post
    I prefer a nice gooey front end

arse

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    Here's some Web 2.0 gone mad: New Sky TV Listings

Draggable, in Google Maps fashion, and can be filtered, searched, bookmarked etc etc. Plus it has remote record built in if you have one of them Sky+ box things. Which I don't.
    It's like an IFRAME on steriods.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Here's some Web 2.0 gone mad: New Sky TV Listings

Draggable, in Google Maps fashion, and can be filtered, searched, bookmarked etc etc. Plus it has remote record built in if you have one of them Sky+ box things. Which I don't.

Leave a comment:

• r0bly0ns
    replied

Finally

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    The IE team are pretty good at backtracking these days

They've committed to support CSS 2.1, with parts of CSS 3 that have good support from other browsers - including border-spacing

Leave a comment:

• max
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    I imagine that most of the good web front ends are corporate internal things that never go near the actual internet. So are most of the bad front ends, many of which are laughable/cringeable.

But using AJAX for pretty much everything, as someone else said, is making a lot of new front ends very slick indeed. I'm doing one just now which can switch languages and currencies instantaneously, with no browser reload, as well as doing all the usual filtering on select boxes etc. JavaScript can do a hell of a lot more these days than it could when a lot of people "learned" it (i.e. pasted a few bits of code from a geek forum somewhere).
    I've been using this...after not doing web f/e's for 4 years.

http://extjs.com/

Works a treat. Works the same in all modern browsers and looks very slick.

When used with spring MVC and JPA...it's the mutt's

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by r0bly0ns View Post
    Really? Last I looked into it (just after IE7 was released) Microsoft said that they had no plans to include border-spacing in CSS as they believed the W3C were wrong and it shouldn't be in there

Not like Microsoft to backtrack on anything....
    The IE team are pretty good at backtracking these days

They've committed to support CSS 2.1, with parts of CSS 3 that have good support from other browsers - including border-spacing

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    What happened to the EU trying to force M$ not to ship IE with Windows?

Until that happens it's like asking someone not to use their own hands. Only those that wish they were terminator bothers with Firefox or other alternatives.
    They never quite went that far but you can get XP Home Edition N and Windows XP Professional N, where "N" stands for "not with Windows Media Player." Don't know where though

Leave a comment:

Working...
X