• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Free money for entrepeneurs, must have vagina to be eligible"

Collapse

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    I tried to get my program patented and got told 'no software isn't patentable' I tried to get a more clear answer from them but they didn't want to know.
    I don't blame them. It has been the subject of lukewarm (EU) debate for some decades. Basically it was in a state of "might be about to happen" until 2005. Since then it's been in a state of "might not happen for a few years yet".

Leave a comment:

• Cheshire Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    I'm building a 'real business' and reinvesting my contracting income into it. Not developing any 'hard goods' though.

At this stage outside investment doesn't make sense but I haven't ruled the idea out for the near future.

I tried to get my program patented and got told 'no software isn't patentable' I tried to get a more clear answer from them but they didn't want to know.

I was thinking more along the lines of free handouts, rather than selling shares in company to investors. I've heard rumours abroad that some businesses get start up grants and the like. Does that sort of thing apply only to sandwich-shops and unit-shifters?

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
    Have any of the IT contractors on here ever claimed/applied for a grant of any kind for their business? Are business "initiatives" feasible for one-man-band IT companies, or are they only really aimed at companies that intend to produce tangible goods, like a new brand of smoothie or that crap you see advertised in bettaware catalogues?
    I'm building a 'real business' and reinvesting my contracting income into it. Not developing any 'hard goods' though.

At this stage outside investment doesn't make sense but I haven't ruled the idea out for the near future.

Originally posted by PAH View Post
    If you can patent software then it must be tangible.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
    or are they only really aimed at companies that intend to produce tangible goods

If you can patent software then it must be tangible.

Leave a comment:

• Cheshire Cat
    replied
    Have any of the IT contractors on here ever claimed/applied for a grant of any kind for their business? Are business "initiatives" feasible for one-man-band IT companies, or are they only really aimed at companies that intend to produce tangible goods, like a new brand of smoothie or that crap you see advertised in bettaware catalogues?

Leave a comment:

• AZZIK
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    It's only fair
    ..and about time!

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    or you host an upbeat daytime game show based on the high speed shopping
    Or are the former Secretary of State for Wales

(not that he was guilty of anything - the thieving chunt)

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by dude69 View Post
    Having thick uneducated parents is a disadvantage. Having yellow/brown skin is not.

I agree. Just look at the Simpsons and that spongebob chappie.

Yellow skin FFS.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    Unless you are caucasian. Then it probably means you have hepatitis.
    or you host an upbeat daytime game show based on the high speed shopping

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Or you don't wipe your bum properly.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    Or you eat far too many carrots

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Having yellow/brown skin is not.

Leave a comment:

• dude69
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    That is New Lie stuff.

I'm sure some black guy with a great idea will be pleased, as will the disabled man down the road road trying to make a go of it etc.
    They probably already have funds.

Have a look at Chart 4.2

Disadvantaged Groups:

Lone Parents
    50+
    Disabled
    No Qualifications
    BME

How is being 'BME' a disadvantage? I bet Lakshmi Mittals' kids aren't disadvantaged. Having thick uneducated parents is a disadvantage. Having yellow/brown skin is not.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    •• a new capital fund for female entrepreneurs;

Any entrepreneur worth their salt wouldn't need such a helping hand.

Is there any way to check how these token sums are actually spent? I bet there's some MP's wife wanting to set up a flower shop in Chelsea who gets it.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    what NL are really saying is that white english males are the best and everyone else needs a help up the ladder
    yep.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X