• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Free money for entrepeneurs, must have vagina to be eligible

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have any of the IT contractors on here ever claimed/applied for a grant of any kind for their business? Are business "initiatives" feasible for one-man-band IT companies, or are they only really aimed at companies that intend to produce tangible goods, like a new brand of smoothie or that crap you see advertised in bettaware catalogues?

Comment

Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
      or are they only really aimed at companies that intend to produce tangible goods

If you can patent software then it must be tangible.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
        Have any of the IT contractors on here ever claimed/applied for a grant of any kind for their business? Are business "initiatives" feasible for one-man-band IT companies, or are they only really aimed at companies that intend to produce tangible goods, like a new brand of smoothie or that crap you see advertised in bettaware catalogues?
        I'm building a 'real business' and reinvesting my contracting income into it. Not developing any 'hard goods' though.

At this stage outside investment doesn't make sense but I haven't ruled the idea out for the near future.

Originally posted by PAH View Post
        If you can patent software then it must be tangible.
        I tried to get my program patented and got told 'no software isn't patentable' I tried to get a more clear answer from them but they didn't want to know.

"Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
          I'm building a 'real business' and reinvesting my contracting income into it. Not developing any 'hard goods' though.

At this stage outside investment doesn't make sense but I haven't ruled the idea out for the near future.

I tried to get my program patented and got told 'no software isn't patentable' I tried to get a more clear answer from them but they didn't want to know.

I was thinking more along the lines of free handouts, rather than selling shares in company to investors. I've heard rumours abroad that some businesses get start up grants and the like. Does that sort of thing apply only to sandwich-shops and unit-shifters?

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
            I don't blame them. It has been the subject of lukewarm (EU) debate for some decades. Basically it was in a state of "might be about to happen" until 2005. Since then it's been in a state of "might not happen for a few years yet".

Comment

Working...
            X